Re: Firefox extended support release

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Well, I did this for a number of years. I use Eset NOD32 as my antivirus, and I turned off all the threat measures in Firefox. I don’t need multilayers of protection, as long as my antivirus and firewall are working and up-to-date.

If I were going to help someone do this, I would give them caveats, but many people don’t want to pay for another version of JAWS, and may want to stay with their same browser.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2018 3:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Firefox extended support release

Hey Bill.

You seem to know what you’re talking about in this group and so I don’t want to come off as overly critical….

But are you sure helping people to do this is really a worthy cause? At least, without some important caveats?

Mozilla themselves do not recommend doing this. Version 52 won’t even be receiving security updates anymore. I suppose it’s all right, so long as people understand that it should be only a temporary measure til they get around to switching to a different course.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: September 15, 2018 6:45 PM

Hi, Marilyn. The problem is that whichever version of Firefox you had previously, it updated automatically, and, because you don’t have JAWS 2018, Firefox 62.0 will not work with your version of JAWS.

The only thing to do is to download an earlier version of Firefox and, after installing it, make sure you disable automatic updating of Firefox. This takes a few steps to make sure it doesn’t update.

If you are interested, Write back. I’ll have you call me, and I’ll also walk you through the process of disabling any future updates.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2018 3:39 PM

I checked on my desktop and Firefox is there but I cannot tell what version it is.

The whole message says “Display of tab content has been disabled. Update your screenreader software or switch to Firefox extended support release.”

My laptop is set to automatically do updates, so I don’t know what the problem is.

Thanks.

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:22 PM

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already? What version?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: September 15, 2018 6:19 PM
Subject: Firefox extended support release

Hello all,

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn   

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.