Re: PDF file automatically goes into Edge

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Robin,

Okay, I found that you can fast forward through the, Choose default apps by file type link, if you turn Key Repeat on. 
1. To do this, after the file types list is loaded up open the Settings Center with, Jaws Key + 6 on the number row, and if you get a new configuration
message select the, Okay, option and press the spacebar. Arrow down to, User closed, and right arrow to open.

2. Down arrow to, Key Repeat not checked, and press the spacebar to check this.

3. Tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.  Now if you hold the Tab key down it will fast forward through this long list of file types.
It's funny listening to Jaws fast forward through this long files type list because it sounds like fast forwarding a cassette tape.  LOL 
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2018 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: PDF file automatically goes into Edge

Mike,

Holding the tab key with JAWS worked for me.  I have not heard of the key repeat adjustment you also made.  Interesting to think about what other purposes that option has. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:21 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi Robin,

Okay, using NVDA and holding down the Tab key navigates that file types list much faster!  Wish Jaws would do this!

Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 3:26 PM

Mike,

I thought I had used page down, but I just tried that and, although I can see that the screen is moving up, focus does not seem to change. So, just hold down your tab key for several seconds, then stop to check where you are.  The items are in alphabetical order, so you can just keep holding down the tab key in short spurts until you get to the “P” section. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:31 PM

Hi Robin,

I don't want to wear out my Tab key navigating that long list of file types!  LOL  Do you know of a quicker way of navigating that list of file types?  If so, would please share?!  Thank you very much.

Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:46 AM

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:40 AM

Hi Kevin,

Firstly press your Windows key, then type Default Programs and press enter.

Now tab around until you hear PDF then Edge, which will be a button.  Press space on it, and change it with up and down arrows to Acrobat Reader DC.

Now any PDF file will open in DC.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: 05 September 2018 20:56
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: PDF file automatically goes into Edge

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.