Re: Bits

deadcatbounce <JAWS@...>

So, what you're essentially telling me is that 64 bit computers are the way to go?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 3:00 PM
Subject: re: Bits

Hi,
There are different meanings to this:
* For hardware: usually how much memory that a CPU can handle (usually limited by the operating system). 32-bit can handle up to about 4 GB (well, it is indeed 4 GB, but some OS's prevents full usage of this space), whereas 64-bit can go beyond that.
* Programs: usually what kind of features that programs would use under OS's for 32-bit or 64-bit processors.
And other interpretations, which are usually reserved for development circles. A rule of thumb is that 64-bit processors and operating systems (in our case, 64-bit versions of Windows) can run majority of 32-bit programs but not vice versa. The times when 32-bit programs would not run under 64-bit Windows versions is when a driver is in use - a driver that does a lot of
"under the hood" functions for hardware, such as old hardware drivers.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph