Re: accessible password generators

Tom Babinszki

Thank you. I had to reinstall the Chrome extension from the 1password program, now it works, and now all your previous comments make sense.
Tom

On Aug 31, 2018, at 8:40 AM, Jerry Berrier via Groups.Io <jerry.berrier@...> wrote:

I just went to a site for the first time in Firefox. It asked for a user name and password. When I hit Log In, 1Password automatically opened and asked for my 1Password login.

I entered that and then tabbed to save new login.

If that’s not happening, it’s possible your browser extension is not working properly.

Jerry Berrier

Director of Education Technology

Perkins School for the Blind
175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

Perkins School for the Blind Logo

Facebook Link IconTwitter Link IconInstagram Link IconLinkedIn Link IconPinterest Link Icon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Babinszki
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 4:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: accessible password generators

Thank you Gerry.

My problem is that I do have an account on a site, but no 1password record yet.

Instead of having to type one in from scratch, how can I just go to a site, login and have 1password remember my existing login info?

Thank you!

Tom

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry Berrier via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 3:02 PM

I have found very few sites where it would not work.

Another thing you can do is start logging into a website.  When you get to the password field, assuming 1Password is not open already, go to the system tray and arrow down to 1Password. Hit enter.

You should be given the option to generate a password.

It generates it and puts it on the clipboard.

You could then manually create a login record in 1Password and include the new password.

Jerry Berrier

175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
Perkins.org

Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:43 PM

Ideally I'd use iOS and Windows/Chrome.

So far I only tried it on Windows, maybe I did go to sites which didn't work with 1password? I did not get any popup once I pressed login. Let me try with a few more sites.

On Aug 30, 2018, at 2:38 PM, Jerry Berrier via Groups.Io <jerry.berrier@...> wrote:

Tom,

Are you using your iPhone, Windows, or other?

I use it on my iPhone and also with Firefox and Chrome on Windows.

I’ll say a couple of things about using Windows, then I can add more once I’m sure what platform you are using.

I go to a new web page where I want to create a login.

I fill in a user name and password.  If I hit the Login button, it should invoke the mini version of 1Password.

If necessary, 1Password will ask you to enter the 1Password password.(Sorry for that strange statement)

It should ask if you want to save this login, and it will suggest a name for it.

You should then get a button that says Save or something similar to that.

Another way to invoke the mini 1Password on a website is control-alt-backslash.

To open sites I’ve already set up in 1Password, I go to the full program.

You can search for a site or arrow down through them.

Hitting enter on one should start the login process.

Jerry Berrier

175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
Perkins.org

Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2018 12:32 PM

For thelife of me, I can’t figure out 1password.

Can somebody give a quick step by step overview?

I am trying to use the Chrome extension.

Once I fill out the username and password, I open the 1password menu from the toolbar, where I get a suggestion. For the sake of this example, I went to Applevis.com

I don’t know how to save this suggestion. When I’m looking at the 1password help, it says login first, then save your login from 1password, but I can’t find a save option there.

What am I doing wrong?

Given the features of 1password, I would like to make it work if possible, but not at the expense of running extra circles. I could just type it up on my iPhone but that defeats the purpose.

Thank you:

Tom

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 4:31 PM

Wondering on what folks think of this versus one password which I have read many folks like as well?

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 10:53 AM

I will again recommend Password Safe, which is still 100% accessible, open source, and has both an Android and iOS clone named PasswdSafe.

It can generate passwords, do auto fill in, taking you straight to the website triggered from within Password Safe itself, and you can choose to use cloud storage for your encrypted password safe file if you wish to be able to have one master file that's accessed from multiple devices and always up-to-date on all of them.

And you can't beat free.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.