Re: accessible password generators

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Dashlane gets very good reviews, unfortunately when I tried it about a year or so ago it was completely inaccessible.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 8:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: accessible password generators

A follow up for the password manager skeptics and with an article I saved a few weeks back more or less on this same topic. I have a friend who believed his special sauce system was all bullet proof. At least until he got hacked… He was still reluctant to do the whole big bad spooky save to interweb thing, but eventually came around to take the drama out of his life.
This tech guy recommends Dashlane, but also acknowledges 1Password and LastPass. As he points out and emphasizes, a password manager regardless of which one you ultimately choose, is going to be hands down better than whatever self-styled system you’ve concocted on your own.
I have no experience with Dashlane so can’t speak to its screen reader accessibility, but as far as functionality, they all more or less operate the same way and offer the same features.
You would be right to wonder how safe it is to keep all your password eggs in one basket. All three of these companies keep your passwords encrypted behind a password they don’t know — so that even if they get hacked, the data is mostly useless. They never send your password over the Internet. In 2015, LastPass reported it was breached , though it reported that no passwords were stolen. There are no security guarantees, but I buy the argument that it’s okay to keep your eggs in one basket if it’s more secure than the basket you build on your own. https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/07/12/your-password-has-likely-been-stolen-heres-what-do-about-it/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.057246c7cdb8