Re: accessible password generators

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Dashlane gets very good reviews, unfortunately when I tried it about a year or so ago it was completely inaccessible.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 8:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: accessible password generators

A follow up for the password manager skeptics and with an article I saved a few weeks back more or less on this same topic. I have a friend who believed his special sauce system was all bullet proof. At least until he got hacked… He was still reluctant to do the whole big bad spooky save to interweb thing, but eventually came around to take the drama out of his life.
This tech guy recommends Dashlane, but also acknowledges 1Password and LastPass. As he points out and emphasizes, a password manager regardless of which one you ultimately choose, is going to be hands down better than whatever self-styled system you’ve concocted on your own.
I have no experience with Dashlane so can’t speak to its screen reader accessibility, but as far as functionality, they all more or less operate the same way and offer the same features.
You would be right to wonder how safe it is to keep all your password eggs in one basket. All three of these companies keep your passwords encrypted behind a password they don’t know — so that even if they get hacked, the data is mostly useless. They never send your password over the Internet. In 2015, LastPass reported it was breached , though it reported that no passwords were stolen. There are no security guarantees, but I buy the argument that it’s okay to keep your eggs in one basket if it’s more secure than the basket you build on your own. https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/07/12/your-password-has-likely-been-stolen-heres-what-do-about-it/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.057246c7cdb8

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:19 PM

Thanks, sounds interesting enough to check it out again.

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:43 AM

And a quick follow up, this is what you can save in 1Password:
Login
Secure Note
Credit Card
Identity
Password
Document
Bank Account
Database
Driver License
Email Account
Membership
Outdoor License
Passport
Reward Program
Server
Social Security Number
Software License
Wireless Router
Import files as Documents...
Some of these things I haven't bothered with. There's also a travel mode which is supposed to give you more security/privacy when on the road and say you're asked to show your information, etc, but I haven't had the need to look into that as of yet.
There's supposed to be better integration with iOS devices in V12 too. There was even a rumor that Apple was going to buy 1Password a few weeks ago, but who knows.
The times they've been made aware of accessibility issues, they've acknowledged it and have addressed in fixes and for a couple of things that could just be me not knowing how to use a particular feature, I consider it to be worth the $60 for the family plan since my wife, mother father and sister are also on my plan. If money's tight for some folks, you can also consider going in together for the family plan to offset the cost a little.
There's also a business/enterprize plan in case you want to manage employees, but for my business at least and since I don’t' have employees, the vault structure works fine to keep separate my personal stuff from my work related stuff and so on.
Anyway, for my needs on Windows PC and iPhone, it does the job well.

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:23 AM

Re: 1Password, you can upload documents (which I've done) as they give you 1 GB of storage as well as secured notes which I haven't played with yet.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:38 AM

Hi Jerry,

I think you are the first person I know who has used Roboform, I am also a Roboform user probably for at least 12 years. I tried a few others at one point but just as you that was at least a year ago and I just couldn't get the hang of Lastpass or OnePassword which so many seem to like.
Maybe I should give it another try, can OnePassword do SafeNotes? I use them a lot with Roboform to store all sorts of sensitive and even not so sensitive data which I want easy access to from a number of devices.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jerry Berrier via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:43 AM

I have been using 1Password for a few months now, and I like it very much.
You do have to install the add-in for whatever browser you are using, but once you do that, control-shift-backslash invokes a mini version of 1Password right from the website where you are trying to enter data.
It works very well with JFW 2018 and both Windows 7 and 10. I have used it with Firefox and Chrome, and both work well.
I was a Roboform user for many years, and I like 1Password much better.
I also have it on my iPhone, and it works great with Voiceover.
I tried 1Password a year ago and it was awful, but they have made a major upgrade and great improvements to it.

Jerry Berrier
Director of Education Technology
Perkins School for the Blind
175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gudrun Brunot
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 5:22 PM

Hi Jerry: I started using OnePassword a year or so ago, but, perhaps, I didn't use it right, for I always seem to have to log in the old way even for websites where I'd set up the password. So, I stopped using it. What was I missing?

Gudrun

Please note my new email of brunotgudrun@gmail.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Berrier via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:17 AM

I know others have said this, but I recently started using 1Password. It is wonderful and very accessible. It includes a password generator.

Jerry Berrier

Director of Education Technology

175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

Logo<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/nH0yhJsCQ2ZD8E_ypT7ubRxAka2WjcPW8eP891B_tYHQtlflEsX7IrW63AhTFg9hXL-WE-4KlHExDq0KsETxo6zW3X0mQZisYwJYn2W9HxClaus1cfYZ6v38RbpYMY4cQn7Ab_qt>

Facebook Link Icon <https://www.facebook.com/OfficialPerkins> Twitter Link Icon <https://twitter.com/perkinsvision> Instagram Link Icon <https://www.instagram.com/perkinsvision/> LinkedIn Link Icon <https://www.linkedin.com/company/perkins-school-for-the-blind> Pinterest Link Icon <https://www.pinterest.com/officialperkins/>

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nino Dagostino
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 2:42 PM
Subject: accessibil password generators

Hello:

Does anybody know of any accessibil password generators?

I am terrible trying to come up with a good password.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.