Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

A single incident should not be enough experience to base such strong beliefs on. Also, it was a very different operating system—it was the less than stellar Win8 not the current very stable Windows 10.

With fast startup turned on, the increase in startup speed is significant in both a spinning hard drive and an SSD.

Again, you’re losing me in regards to your argument, here’s what you just stated:

“            The increase in startup speed is negligible with a HDD and pretty much invisible if you're using an SSD with Fast Startup enabled.”

Isn’t this whole discussion over the differences in speed using the Windows 10 Fast startup verses the windows 95 shut down/restart routine?

Thank you all for the great discussion, but in this thread, I don’t think building a pool of unbiased knowledge is the goal.

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 12:01 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Steve,

You and I are on the same page with regard to Fast Startup.  The incident I encountered in 2015 under Windows 8 was enough to make me say, "never again."

The increase in startup speed is negligible with a HDD and pretty much invisible if you're using an SSD with Fast Startup enabled.   I would rather know that when I shut down my system it is shut down and will reload afresh when powered on again.   Others feel differently, but it is important that they be aware of the potential issues and if they choose to use Fast Startup to know that using Restart will force the machine to shut down entirely and load Windows afresh from the drive.

I've seen plenty of other instances where simply turning off Fast Startup has cured an ongoing issue where the user never did a Restart.  That also tells me that it's just not worth it.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.