Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

My respects, but one cannot use such generalizations when conveying information which should be helping a large group of people such as those on this list.

You have not used all computers with screen readers in existence, so you cannot and should not be generalizing as you’ve been doing if you want people to take you seriously.

You should also work on how you present your arguments because they are a reflection of the way you think. For example, here’s what you posted:

“…just because you like it, doesn’t mean there are not problems with it.”

You’re aware that your odd reasoning applies to you, right?

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 11:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Hi,

I maintain computers for customers every day pretty much, and I see it with all screen readers.  Just accept it, just because you like it, doesn’t mean there are not problems with it.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: 26 August 2018 19:43

I think it more accurate to state all screen readers on “your” computer end up unstable. Unless you have a large sample by which you’ve conducted extensive scientific research, your claim will be one you will struggle to support. “All” is not a word which should be thrown around casually when using computers. Like I said, I love the various power options on my Windows machines as they make computing life more convenient for me.

JR

Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 11:32 AM

Hi,

The issue for me is that all screen readers simply become unstable, when woken up in this way.

All the best

Steve

Sent: 24 August 2018 14:14

Hi Allen,

Out of curiosity, what issues has this fast boot caused? The issue I’m most aware of is that some are bent on hearing the Windows start up sound and would gladly sacrifice performance and convenience just to hear that little wav file. J

Thanks,

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 5:48 AM

Again, my experience has been different. Maybe I’ll try again but up until now I’ve seen on lists far more issues/problems than enhancements.

Al

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:31 AM

I have a bit of a high-end computer, and I definitely notice a difference when Fast boot is on or off. I can come in and out of shutdown in about as  long as it takes me to lift the lid on my laptop with fast boot on as opposed to about 35 seconds with fast boot off. This feature is also very reliable and stable--I can go for weeks without a restart. I don’t think Microsoft would have spent so much in R&D for this feature to not notice a difference in boot time.  

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 3:39 AM

Agreed, if using a traditional mechanical drive. However, if one is using the new solid-state drive the increased time saved is not worth any possible inconvenience. I keep this turned off and all my solid-state drive computers and see virtually no difference in time whether it is enabled or not.

On Aug 24, 2018, at 4:43 AM, Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...> wrote:

I disagree. Fast Startup is a very useful time-saving feature of Windows. I use it on all my computers, and I’ve never experienced corruption.

JR

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:39 AM

Just turn off fast startup, it’s a pain anyway.  Often your on-disk to memory transfer gets corrupted.  It causes more grief than it helps, in my experience.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 22 August 2018 15:42
Subject: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

While this is not directly JAWS related, the issue of lack of a "coming back from being shut down when using Fast Startup" sound, as well as the lack of the good, old-fashioned shutdown sound, under Windows 10 comes up repeatedly on virtually every screen reader related group I'm participating in.  

I have just created feedback related to both, and here's the click-through link to the Windows 10 Feedback Hub for it (which, of course, only works for Windows 10 users):

"Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

If this is an accessibility issue for you, please review this feedback and upvote it so that it will garner more attention.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.