Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Let’s not start with the fear mongering just to build support for one’s personal opinions. This feature is not “dangerous” as you’ve conveyed in your message below.

The very same issue of file corruption might happen if someone places his/her computer in sleep mode. To safeguard against such contingencies, its easy enough to simply close applications before putting computer to sleep or shutting down. This is one of the reasons the Windows 10 operating system has the File History feature.

The norm for all operating systems is for file corruption not to happen, so under most conditions, given that there aren’t other forms of program file corruption or hardware damage, all should work as advertised in terms of protecting one’s work. With that said, to reach the highest level of file integrity, simply save your work before shutting down your machine or putting it to sleep for an extended period of time. Again, I’ve never had such issues on any of my computers going back to Windows XP.

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 11:39 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Hi Brian,

Corruption not only in the hibernation files, but any files that are stored into memory.  I have seen Word documents corrupted by using fast startup.  Consider if you leave Word open with a document loaded, you shut down, and the hibernation files get corrupted?  Then you ain’t getting your Word file back.  To me, it’s positively dangerous this feature.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 24 August 2018 15:29
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Jeremy,

You asked for an example, I gave you an example.  Spend approximately 30 seconds on a web search on "Windows 10 Fast Startup Problems" and the results you'll get and you'll realize this is far from an isolated incident.   And, by the way, Fast Startup is implemented the same in both OSes and, as I said before, the issues can come from something causing corruption in the hibernation file, and that does happen.  It's no different than the myriad problems that can creep in to web browsers via cache corruption that "magically disappear" if one simply purges cache.  The hibernation file is "OS Cache," and it can get screwed up completely independently of an OS that's perfectly fine.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.