Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Well, you might want to be careful of whom you’re insulting as I might have solutions you may need in the future. We all bring some sort of knowledge to these lists, so rather than putting walls between ourselves, we would all grow if we could build our collective pool of knowledge.

Regarding the link to the article you posted, those are some really weak reasons why someone would disable such a useful feature. It takes up space? C’mon, with the size of SSDs nowadays, most people probably have more kitten videos or MP3 files on their hard drives than the space taken up by fast startup.

I mean, ultimately, one’s computer is one’s computer, and he or she can do whatever he or she wants with their machine. On the other hand, if productivity is the goal, nothing can beat coming up with an idea, quickly lifting a laptop lid or pressing the power button on a Windows tablet, working through that thought, then moving on. With Fast Startup disabled, having to wait for one’s computer to fully power up and the difficulties that may bring on because at times Windows installs updates and alike, that can interfere with the creative process.

Ultimately, we all have the freedom to decide how to use our computers. J My goal is to convey useful information rather than hanging on to old fears from previous versions of Windows.

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2018 11:37 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Hi Jeremy,

Now it sounds like you’re a bit of a fanboy of this horrible technology.

Now take a look at this article:-

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

In particular, the heading labelled why you might want to disable it.

It takes up space on your hard drive.  For some it doesn’t truly shut down the processor, even reports of fans spinning after shutting down.

Just accept that this may cause problems, and get on with life, enjoying fast startup as I know you do.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: 24 August 2018 14:41

Ok, fair enough, one guy using the less than stellar Windows 8 (Sample size is n = 1), not to mention it was operating system corruption causing the problem and not fast boot. Still not really much of a sample from millions and millions of Windows 10 users whom don’t have these problems.

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 6:24 AM

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 09:13 AM, Jeremy wrote:

Out of curiosity, what issues has this fast boot caused?

Taken directly from a client report written in November 2015, regarding a Windows 8 machine that was using Fast Startup and where the hibernation file used for same had become corrupted:
-----------

Caps Lock key was perpetually locked, backspace key did not work, up arrow and down arrow keys would not work.  He had already done a full system shutdown and restart and this did not clear the problems.  He acquired another portable wireless keyboard and mouse and the same behaviors were exhibited when these were in use, so the issue definitely was with the computer.   Windows 8 uses a form of shutdown known as a hybrid shutdown by default, where certain state information is written to a file at shutdown an read back in again upon restart.  I disabled this feature such that a shutdown completely powers down the laptop and retains no information regarding the prior session upon reboot.  This cleared all of the keyboard issues for the laptop and external keyboards upon rebooting.

-----------

I had never encountered anything like this before, and it was sheer luck that I eventually hit upon Fast Startup as the root cause.  The kinds of things that can go wrong if there is a corruption in the OS system state are myriad, and if that state is written out to a hibernation file and reloaded, you just carry it along.  Of course, one could do a forced Restart and that should clear it, but that's counterintuitive to those of us who have been taught for decades that using Shut Down was the definitive way to power the computer off and have Windows reload from scratch when powered up again.

If one wants to use Fast Startup then have at it.  Just realize that if you start to have inexplicable weirdness going on that doing a forced Restart, which does make Windows reload from the disc from scratch, is the first thing you should do.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.