Re: Creating Webpage Desktop Shortcuts for Any Web Browser

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. I have to do more experimentation with this. Here is what I got when I tried to drag and drop this button.

When I did the drag:

To drag and drop, place the JAWS, PC or touch cursor in the drop location and press Control+JAWSKey+NumPadSlash.

When I tried to do the drop:

The object to be dragged was not found. This may be because it has been covered by another window.

The drag and drop action has been canceled.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:03 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Creating Webpage Desktop Shortcuts for Any Web Browser

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 03:39 PM, Bill White wrote:

Hi, Brian. How do you know when you are on the “page icon, left of the address bar? I have never been able to locate this icon, even using the JAWS cursor.

Bill,

It's very simple to get to, really, but what gets announced when you land on it varies depending on the browser you're using and, potentially, add-ons as well.  Regardless of what's announced, this is how you get there if you have focus on a web browser window:

1. Hit ALT + D to navigate to the address box/URL box.
  2. Hit SHIFT + TAB to move to the most immediately prior object that allows interaction, which is this button.

You definitely still have to use the equivalent of drag and drop, so the web browser cannot be maximized and you must have a part of your desktop visible as the drop zone, at least when doing it the conventional way.  I do not know whether doing a screen reader left mouse lock for dragging, then bringing up the desktop afterward, then doing the drop might work for a screen reader user.  If you decide to give the latter a whirl please report back.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.