Re: Finding and accessing emails in Outlook using JAWS

Hi Alan,

I occasionally use Control+Shift+F for the advanced search feature, but for the most part when I look for something I want just a quick search of all my mailboxes and I don’t mind a results list with several or even 10 or 20 emails and that is what Control+E gives me. Here is one example where I use it:

When we get an online order from our webstore and ship it we use Canada Post. As soon as we create the shipping label an email is generated by Canada Post which we as well as the customer receive, it has the tracking number, the person’s name/address, any reference phrase we type in and themessage that the shipping label was created. Later on when we drop off the package at the post office another email is generated which is almost identical except the message now says “Package received at originating post office”. A few days later a third email is received which confirms that the parcel was delivered. If, however, the person was not home or we shipped to a PO Box, this email indicates that a card was left indicating where the person can pick up their parcel.This email has the tracking number, the name of the city and name and address of the post office where the package can be picked up, but it does not have the person’s name. If by now we have shipped a few more packages I may not remember simply by the city name whose parcel that is. In this case I copy the tracking number to the clipboard, then I press Control+E and I paste it into the search box, press enter and then do a Shift+Tab. Even though by now I would have made a folder for the customer in my Outlook Folder Web Orders > 2018, I now see the other two Canada Post emails which also contain that tracking number in the message body, I can open either the “label created” or “received at originating post office” email to check the name so I can then move the new email into that person’s folder.

Sorry for the long explanation, but that is one common example of how I use this search box and while I could accomplish the same thing by using Control+Shift+F pasting in the tracking number, selecting to search in subject line and message body etc. it would require me to make more choices before I can find the email.

I think each method has it’s place and I’m sorry, Jeremy, but for me pressing Control+E is just as fast s pressing F3, but you are correct, both keystrokes take you to the search box as does pressing tab once from the message list which one could argue is the fastest method since if my hands are poised over the “ASDF” portion of the keyboard pressing tab with my little finger is faster than having to reach all the way up to F3, but that is nitpicking and everybody has their preference so it makes no difference. You can often use one of two or even 3 or 4 key combinations in Windows to accomplish the same thing and that is just a fact so everybody can figure out what works best for them.

Regards,

Sieghard