Re: Finding and accessing emails in Outlook using JAWS

Hi Alan,

I occasionally use Control+Shift+F for the advanced search feature, but for the most part when I look for something I want just a quick search of all my mailboxes and I don’t mind a results list with several or even 10 or 20 emails and that is what Control+E gives me. Here is one example where I use it:

When we get an online order from our webstore and ship it we use Canada Post. As soon as we create the shipping label an email is generated by Canada Post which we as well as the customer receive, it has the tracking number, the person’s name/address, any reference phrase we type in and themessage that the shipping label was created. Later on when we drop off the package at the post office another email is generated which is almost identical except the message now says “Package received at originating post office”. A few days later a third email is received which confirms that the parcel was delivered. If, however, the person was not home or we shipped to a PO Box, this email indicates that a card was left indicating where the person can pick up their parcel.This email has the tracking number, the name of the city and name and address of the post office where the package can be picked up, but it does not have the person’s name. If by now we have shipped a few more packages I may not remember simply by the city name whose parcel that is. In this case I copy the tracking number to the clipboard, then I press Control+E and I paste it into the search box, press enter and then do a Shift+Tab. Even though by now I would have made a folder for the customer in my Outlook Folder Web Orders > 2018, I now see the other two Canada Post emails which also contain that tracking number in the message body, I can open either the “label created” or “received at originating post office” email to check the name so I can then move the new email into that person’s folder.

Sorry for the long explanation, but that is one common example of how I use this search box and while I could accomplish the same thing by using Control+Shift+F pasting in the tracking number, selecting to search in subject line and message body etc. it would require me to make more choices before I can find the email.

I think each method has it’s place and I’m sorry, Jeremy, but for me pressing Control+E is just as fast s pressing F3, but you are correct, both keystrokes take you to the search box as does pressing tab once from the message list which one could argue is the fastest method since if my hands are poised over the “ASDF” portion of the keyboard pressing tab with my little finger is faster than having to reach all the way up to F3, but that is nitpicking and everybody has their preference so it makes no difference. You can often use one of two or even 3 or 4 key combinations in Windows to accomplish the same thing and that is just a fact so everybody can figure out what works best for them.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 7:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Finding and accessing emails in Outlook using JAWS

Hi, JR. When you do a search using F3, it is not the same as doing one with CONTROL plus SHIFT plus F. When using CONTROL plus SHIFT plus F, there is a category which allows you to select whether you want the search done using subject, body, or frequently used text fields. The default is Subject. You won’t find as many hits with Subject as you will with frequently used text fields, and you won’t find this category in your search using F3.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 5:11 AM

Actually, a faster method of accessing the same search box Seagar uses is to press F3. You can essentially run the same exact search within Outlook than one can run using the ControlAltF Advanced search method except there’s less tabbing using F3 as opposed to the Advanced search.

The Outlook search box can be used to find specific events or appointments within the calendar. You can also use the search box to find very specific pieces of information contained within your contacts such as birthday and family relationships. Press F3 then type in an area code to show all individuals in that area code. If you keep good notes per contact, you can quickly find business contacts using this search field.

There are some customizations you can make to specify where you want Outlook to search (inbox or all mail folders), but using the search box in Outlook is very easy, quick, and incredibly efficient for managing information associated with friends, family, and business.

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 4:53 AM

Sieghard,

Do you ever use the Ctrl shift F command as alluded to in the initial post? Seems to be a lot more filtering options with that option. If so, any suggestions as usually your input is pretty thorough?

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2018 11:48 AM

I usually use Control+E to go to the search box, type my search term, press enter and then I press Shift+Tab which puts me in a list of messages, the Inbox I guess with only those messages showing which meet the search term.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of jaws trial
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:35 AM
Subject: Finding and accessing emails in Outlook using JAWS

Hi,
I use JAWS 2018 in my Windows 10 PC. I use Outlook and was trying to find a particular email and used Shift + Ctrl + F for the same. The dialogue box popped up and I typed in what I was looking for. The email that was found using this method shows at the bottom of the dialogue box. However, I was unable to access it using the keyboard. Pressing Tab key took me back to the top of the dialogue box but not to the email that was found. The email, however, can be accessed by clicking on it. Can anyone help me on how I can access it using Keyboard?
Thanks!

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.