From: Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: 22 August, 2018 10:26 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS and Excel - problem reading cells still exists

Hello,

Here are some notes I saved from Branden a while back which fixed this
problem for me.

Excel problem
One issue we have encountered recently is with Editing text in Excel.
This has generated some helpful discussion and testing by users of GitHub,
and the NVDA e-mail group. For some Excel users, when pressing F2 to edit a
cell, NVDA announces "Unknown". It then won't read any text in that cell.
This seems to have started after a recent update from Microsoft. The
workaround that seems to fix the issue for most users, is to uncheck "Allow
editing directly in cells". Not everyone is experiencing this, but if you
are, you can change this setting by doing the following:
1. Have Excel open.
2. Press "alt+f" to open the file menu then press "t" for the options.
3. Press "control+tab" until the focus is on the "Advanced" options page.
4. Press "alt+e" to toggle the "Allow editing directly in cells"
option. Ensure that this is unchecked.
5. Press "enter" to save the changes. Editing cell contents should now work
again.
Note that in turning this setting off, does change things slightly for
visual users:
. With editing directly in cells enabled, when F2 is pressed, the caret
appears in the cell itself. Text which would flow out of the cell flows to
the right, then to lines below. Cells covered by this text are hidden while
this happens. Text in the edited cell is coloured to highlight cell
references and parenthesis.
. With editing directly in cells disabled, when F2 is pressed, the caret
appears in the formula bar above the worksheet. Colouring of formula
elements is also done in the formula bar rather than the cell while editing.
Only text which fits in the cell is visible in the cell while the formula is
being edited.

I hope this helps,

Brandon