Re: What backup software can we use with jaws?

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Thanks for your reply Jeremy,

Although I looked closely under the Rollback RX Home apps key, Delete was not an option for removing a snapshot. Maybe I should look for the latest version, install it and try again.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Thursday, 23 August 2018 4:49 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: What backup software can we use with jaws?

Hi Tom,

I've been using RollBackRX for many years on Windows7, Win8, and Windows 10 , so I'm not all that certain about how the free version behaves. As for the paid version...

The scheduler is very robust, which means you can go through the wizard and schedule the date and time an automatic snapshot is executed such as at 11:33AM every second Thursday on a leap year when the sun is purple etc.. :) I choose to take my snapshots manually so I don't take up too much space on my hard drive. Then again I also use RollBackRX on an 8 inch Windows tablet with 64 gigs of ram and I can still create quite a number of snapshots. The first snapshot can be about 1 gig in size, but subsequent snapshots are much less.

To remove a snapshot you can open the screen which lists all of your snapshots then use Shift F10 or Windows applications key to show other options such as delete. If you want to be precise about the snapshot to be deleted, use the JAWS cursor to locate the snapshot of interest then press Shift F10 to show options such as delete.

I find using the JAWS cursor and associated clicks on the RollBackRX screens save me lots of headaches. :)

I also want to note that for those interested, Labor day is coming up in September, so RollBackRX will go on sale for $35, which is 50% off regular price.

HTH

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:59 PM

Hi Jeremy,
I agree with you regarding Rollback RX being extremely useful but the free version had a problem last time it was tried. There does not seem to be a way of manually deleting a snapshot, at least I couldn't find one, when desired.

After the Home versions is installed, a snapshot is automatically created every day for the first 6 days making 7 snapshots including the installation snapshot. Now, say I wish to manually delete the snapshot created on the second day on the eleventh day or so and manually create a new snapshot. i.e. If a new snapshot was created every three or four days, the 7 available snapshots would span over the best part of a month.

With the free version, afterall 7 snapshots have been used, a new snapshot can only be created if an existing snapshot was deleted. But, I couldn't find any way of manually deleting a snapshot, of my choosing,so a new one could be created. i.e. It would be great to manually delete a snapshot and then manually create a new one just prior to installing a program I wish to try.

The free version does not come with a help facility unfortunately.

Do you know how a snapshot can be manually deleted in the free or Home version?

Thanks
Tom

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Thursday, 23 August 2018 4:55 AM

Hi all,

Regarding backup software...

I tried many of the commonly used suggestions such as Image for Windows and alike, and I found them to be more of a time consuming process than useful. Many times these system images completed just fine, but when tested for integrity, they had problems--this was especially true for my computers with SSDs. When the time to image my computer came along, the images either failed or they resulted in weird quirks such as very long boot times and alike. I'm sure many of these problems won't happen if one has a relatively simple computer configuration, but when you have tons of software titles and Windows updates installed, these imaging solutions begin having problems do to all the complexity. I ultimately gave up on imaging Windows as precious time gets eaten up when one has to manage many computers.

I found the best solution for me is RollBackRX. If anything went wrong with my computer I simply ran a previous snapshot, and I was up and going in a couple of minutes. Yes, system images have their place, but often problems with Windows can be fixed very quickly by running a previous snapshot. RollBackRX is also extremely useful for those whom test lots of software as they can install new titles, and if one is not happy with the results, simply use RollBackRX to revert the computer to a previously working state.

RollBack Rx Home | Horizon DataSys Corporation -
https://is.gd/RBg6A4

HTH

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Covici
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:45 AM

Crashplan was always partially accessible, but I gave it up when they abolished the feature to send you a disk in case of a disaster and you could not really do a full system image on it and it became very slow over time.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 09:11:34 -0400,
Steve Nutt wrote:

Is it accessible?

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve
Matzura
Sent: 22 August 2018 13:33

What about CrashPlan? It's 1.5 times the price of an annual one-terabyte Dropbox plan, but has no limits. Or none that I've been able to find.

On 8/20/2018 1:33 PM, Jeremy wrote:
That much data will likely cost you quite a bit of cash to upload to cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, Carbonite, etc., not to mention the amount of time it will take to upload the information. If you're not constantly modifying the data, then the previous cloud storage solutions will not be all that useful to you. I suggest purchasing external hard drives. I have always purchased Western Digital Black or Seagate drives and never had a problem. For data backup you will not want to skimp on quality. :) Take a look at the following drive:

Amazon.com: WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0
$99
https://is.gd/HJwtP2

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jed
Barton
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 9:09 AM

Hey guys. So speaking of backup software, got something i wanna do.
I ahve a feeling it won't be easy.
I do a lot of work with audio and have several tb of audio, including audio projects that i can't lose. Looking for a good place to put them for safe keeping. It includes a lot of audio music beds and stuff, not for distrobution, just for safe keeping. Any ideas for a good solution for this. I've got about 8 TB worth of stuff. I know, not an easy task.

On 8/20/18, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:
Steve provides the link to this backup software which, as the name
implies, backs up your files and sytem. If you click on the link
you will be able to read the following summary:

Backup Everything!
Discover the renowned backup, restore, and synchronisation software
SyncBackPro . Backup to disk, network, FTP, the Cloud, MTP, email,
Windows, Linux, macOS & Android!

Discounts & Bundles

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jed
Barton
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 8:53 AM

can you tell me about this backup software, what does it do?

On 8/20/18, Steve Nutt <steve@comproom.co.uk> wrote:
Hi,

Yes, Syncback, or Syncback Pro from http://www.2brightsparks.com

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David
Ingram
Sent: 16 August 2018 03:42
Subject: What backup software can we use with jaws?

Hi list members, does anyone know of backup software that we can
use with jaws?

--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.