Re: speaking passwords

Dennis Brown

Hi,
I am a rare exception to your list of should-be’s.  I use a telegraph key as input because of a loss of hands, and need to get assurance that the key sequence of dit’s and dah’s are correct.
Espectually when you get two or three chances only to get it right.
Most in work environments use headphones so as not to have speech interfere with co-workers, so the user would be the only one hearing it.
Being libertarian, I want the freedom to make choices for myself—let me be the one to decide if I think any particular time I want to hear it or not.  If I think it is high-risk, then that is one time I’ll turn it off.  But, for most situations at home, I’d want it on.
Government web sites are generally set for a fixed number of attempts at getting it right then you are shut out for 24 hours, , and rightfully so, but when you have typing stability disabilities, echoing the characters will allow me to backspace and reenter that character before continuing.
Password Managers are an easy fix, but there will always be that one time or two when the situation requires a manual type-in.
Thanks,
Dennis

Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 4:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 04:34 PM, Bill White wrote:
By the way, Brian, we’re not asking that the passwords be shown on the screen, only key echoed, the same way keys are echoed when we have JAWS set to echo characters.
I understand precisely what's being asked for, and it should not be provided if one has a scintilla of concern for keeping passwords secure.

After 35 years in IT, and witnessing firsthand all the things that "can't happen" and "shouldn't happen," particularly when there is the high potential for human error, one puts in place roadblocks to precisely that kind of error.

Anyone, and I do mean anyone, should be able to remember their own chosen password or use a password manager.

The convenience of hearing one's keystrokes echoed with the letters struck for a password field cannot be justified, though as I've witnessed, repeatedly, many will try.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.