From: Bill Tessore
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:42 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Hi all,
The only security risk I can’t imagine eliminating is that of a shoulder surfer. If I were concerned about my password being captured while entering it, I’d have it ready to refer to it in either a braille format (like a braille note taker or a 3x5 card) so a synthesizer won’t announce it, or on some synthesizer enabled device (like a smart phone) and a head set to let me hear the characters and no one else. Yes, it’s a pain to have no feed back during keying, but that’s where practice, patience, and sometimes a pair of ear buds come in handy. Alternatively, I’d use a password manager and bypass the storage device and headset altogether. But then I prefer to depend on my own skills for access and security.

Shabbat shalom,

Bill Tessore
billtessore@...

On Aug 18, 2018, at 1:13 PM, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 04:08 PM, Bill White wrote:
The security argument is spurious.No, it's not. And just for the record I have no direct or indirect ties to VFO.

If something like this exists it is 100% certain, at one point or another, to be accidentally turned on. That alone is reason enough on security grounds to say, "No."

~ Dorothy Nevill