Re: speaking passwords

Angel

Isn't this just "creating a tempest in a tea pot".  If spoken pass words aren't truly necessary?  People already are asking questions concerning how to turn off  unwanted paragraph and space markers, in Microsoft word.  When by accident they find they are turned on.  Just think the questions asked about this added feature.  Should spoken pass words be accidentally turned on?  Just think the anxiety which might be experienced.  Should sighted assistance be required to assist with a problem.  Which the blind person is unable to resolve.  Such a thing occurred to me, just last month.  My screen reader wasn't reading all it once did.  When I was on my banks web site.  I had the sighted person who assisted me, access my banks site using her computer.  To determine whether the problem lay with the bank.  Or was my problem alone.  She was able to access the site perfectly well.  Using her computer.  When she came to assist me with this problem, Jaws was on.  I heard the screen reader explain what occurred, and how to correct it.  When she decreased and increased the size of the screen.  Now, I understand what was the problem, and am able to correct it.  Should such a thing occur again.  Should the blind person want to understand how the sighted person resolved the problem, and hadn't turned off this feature.  Even if the sighted person were honest, and didn't take advantage of the totally blind person.  Such might be assumed.  If one didn't have complete trust in the individual assisting him.  One might also be concerned, if a tandem session was necessary.  To solve a situation.  That his own security might be compromised.  Personal security has become such an issue, my bank requires all personal banking be done on line.  Rather than by telephone.  As was once done.  Even when a session is scheduled to assist a patron, all the bank employee can do is to tell whether the patron is accessing the proper fields.  Should he want to perform banking tasks.  Which is why, the bank employee would not be able to assist me.  As long as his computer was accurately reading the screen, and causing him to be able to access information not available to me at the time.       

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: speaking passwords

Hi, Angel. We don’t require spoken passwords. It is just a convenience when we are using our own computers at home, and there is no one there to intercept them. I would never advocate using spoken passwords in a public or employment situation. Even if we are employed at home, if we are on the phone with someone, they could hear our spoken password.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Angel
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 12:31 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

I also believe, if there is ever the idea given to sighted employers that we blind individuals might required spoken pass words; they will have another excuse not to hire us.  They will believe spoken pass words will further compromise their companies security.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:03 PM

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 02:50 AM, netbat66 wrote:

because sighted people can see the keyboard. we can not.

So?  Most people do not "hunt and peck" type, whether passwords or anything else.  They're not looking at the keyboard in the vast majority of cases.  We (as I am part of the group "sighted people") fat finger our passwords all the time and have to re-enter them.

As far as I'm concerned, VFO has it right.  Passwords should never be spoken, letter by letter, as they are typed in, anywhere.  A user is expected to remember them or use a password manager, and most of those can shoot you right to the webpage and enter the login id and password both, if conventional coding methods, rather than pop-up sign-in boxes, are used.

Speaking password character entry entirely defeats the intention of passwords to begin with.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.