Re: file History

Richard,

          I have never quite figured out how File History defines "Daily" in terms of there being an exact time each day, particularly if you're like me and unplug your external backup drive for periods of time.  Every time I have plugged in my backup drive after it's been unplugged for some period of time File History eventually kicks on and does that day's daily backup.  You can also choose to go into File History under Control Panel and choose run now to kick off an on-demand run at any time.

          I suggest you have a look at this article on techrepublic.com, How to correctly use File History to transfer data files to a new Windows 10 installation, for a good basic explanation of how to use File History to transfer files between Windows 10 installations.  Be aware he discusses the common mistakes people make first.  Eventually there is a section entitled, The Correct Way,  that gets into how do to it.  Even I will admit that I do not find the method to restore data from one machine to another particularly intuitive at all, quite the opposite in fact, but his steps will talk all about what's actually happening under the hood so that at least you (and I) have some idea about what's actually occurring and why you have had to do some of the things that make you scratch your head when you're first reading the article.

           You may prefer the article on the dummies.com website entitled, HOW TO TRANSFER YOUR FILES TO WINDOWS 10.

            Unless the actual amount of user data, in its entirety, takes up more space than your new computer would allow you should not need to pick and choose.  If you do, this is an area in which I have no firsthand experience and would web search for something like, "File History choose which files to restore," and see what comes up.  You would, of course, have to combine the details of the steps necessary there with the baseline info presented in the aforementioned articles, as you're still restoring from a previous backup from another machine.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill