From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Backup Software - Semi-Accessible

IFW can do all three kinds of backups--image, differential, and incremental. it does *not* do file or directory backups. Your File History program sounds like a must-have, too.

On 8/16/2018 8:30 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I'm starting this thread in it hopes that it might address an issue
brought up on another thread, that of incremental backups, as well as
addressing what's "accessible enough."

I'm starting this out with saying that I'm a complete realist: The
lucky among us will never need our backups, setting up backups for a
given system - whether for a full system image, user data backups, or
both - is typically a one-time affair, and actual recovery after a
catastrophic failure is likely to be very difficult, even if 100%
accessible, for the uninitiated. Thus, my focus on accessibility
when pushed will always be on the end user being able to run their
backups 100% independently once they've been configured. The
configuration of backups and recovery using them will very likely
require an assistant. I hasten to add that this applies just as much
to those who are sighted as those who are not. Even if assistance is
required for "the far ends" that's a far preferable way to have
things, while you're maintaining your backups, than to simply avoid
having backups. The more precious your data and, probably to a lesser
extent, but still, your time the more critical it is to have a backup
protocol using some sort of backup software for your system itself and
your user data.

Under Windows 10, for user data backup I haven't found anything I like
better than File History, and I've used others. It's about as
straightforward as it comes in keeping user data backups. You simply
have to decide how frequently you wish to have your files backed up
(for me, once a day is more than enough, the default is hourly), and
how long you want to keep the versions of the same file that get
backed up (for me three months is plenty; I've never needed any
version that was older than that, and the "latest" version of files
untouched will be kept forever unless you delete them, no matter when
you made your final tweaks).

I would be curious about what individuals are actually using that may
not be 100% accessible, end to end, but that is completely accessible
for maintaining active system image backups and/or data backups.

Specifically useful would be knowing if the software was paid/free, if
it's a free version whether it supports incremental and/or
differential backups [and these are not the same]. For those wanting
to know the difference between the two, run this duckduckgo search:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=incremental+versus+differential+backups and
look at the second returned result first (or at least that's my
favorite; the first isn't bad either). There are scads of general
discussions of the differences and each of the "big boys of backup"
talking about what they are and how to set them up.

There have got to be folks using not-100% accessible software to
maintain backups, praying that they'll be lucky and never need them
anyway. If so, please offer your experiences.