Re: What backup software can we use with jaws?

Mich Verrier

It was always my understanding that you can’t do anything in regards to working in something like safe moad or backing up a pc with out sighted help since the drivers for speech are not loaded. Having said that though I don’t have the tecknickle know how to do sutch a thing anyways. I have of korce as others have said herd that nvda and other things can be used how ever agree that I have not seen it dun and I also have not seen a step by step tutorial of how to do it that works every time across every system. From Mich.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: August 16, 2018 3:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: What backup software can we use with jaws?

Brian is right about this issue.  I have been requesting a tutorial or demonstration on how to restore a backup image from an external drive without sighted help of any kind for years, but nobody has taken the bait, probably because despite claims to the contrary, it cannot be done by an average blind computer user or else does not work on all systems.  I think this is all hypothetical.  .  And in any event it most definitely cannot be done using JAWS.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 2:45 PM

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 02:34 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:

I'm going to explode if I have to answer this again. Please read all the other messages in this thread.

I have, and you mentioned, here, that there is a version of Windows PE, and clearly a custom one, that has NVDA speech enabled.  This would not be the one that any backup and recovery tool taken "off the shelf" and if you used it to create recovery media would use.

I have not seen a single "unreasonable question" with regard to asking you, and you directly, for a step-by-step, comprehensive tutorial regarding what you do and how you do it.

I stand by my earlier statements that without an awful lot of specialized knowledge it is highly unlikely that the random blind or visually impaired user using "off the shelf" Windows PE recovery will have speech enabled and also have no idea of how/where to get it.

I thank you, and others, profusely for giving information about a Windows PE environment that has speech with NVDA, at the very least.

It would be really nice, though, to have a tutorial document going through everything from start to finish.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill