Re: Navigating in PowerPoint

Van Lant, Robin

Slideshow view really is the best way to review slide content.  The normal slide view involves text boxes you need to tab between.  If I am editing a slide, I must tab to the text box I want, press enter, then use the arrow keys to navigate within the text area.  Pressing Escape then takes you out of the edit mode so you can tab to the next text box you need.  Page up and page down move you to the next slides.

Be aware that people often design slide shows to be visually appealing, which means they either use animation or will insert graphics containing text that you will not read with JAWS in slide show view.  There may be ways to use the OCR function in JAWS for this, but I havent’ tried.  In these cases where there are pictures containing text, I will save the slideshow as a PDF and open in in an OCR software such as Kurzweil or probably now the JAWS OCR function.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:42 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Navigating in PowerPoint

I second Ann Byrne's suggestion when you want to be able to easily pore over the content of a slide show in detail.

That being said, most, not all, but most of the commands you will use in any MS-Office program are not screen reader commands, but commands for the Office program itself.  Those that are screen reader specific, like dealing with making the screen reader announce row or column titles in Excel, are documented in the screen reader documentation.

The following can prove to be handy when you want to play around with any of the Office programs, particularly for the more obscure features:

Keyboard Shortcuts for Microsoft Office Programs

Keystrokes for Office programs from Microsoft Support Pages:

Word

Excel

Outlook

PowerPoint