Re: What backup software can we use with jaws?

Steve Matzura

Your, Gerald's, and Richard's questions are not unreasonable. I never said or intimated that they were. However, they were answered several times both by me and other users before either of the three of you asked them. That is the reason behind my frustration--not that you asked the questions--no, not at all--but that others asked them, I and others answered them, yet the same questions keep coming up in the thread, which indicates to me that nobody's reading the messages.

However, a point to you, while how this all works has been outlined, you are right that, as yet, no tutorial on how to string it all together exists. That's mostly because all the information, scattered though it may be, is out there, with the possible exception of the multiple options for booting something accessible from which to run IFW, and, until earlier this morning, how to run the BartPE Builder, a component of the Terabyte product, wherein some of the other issues are mentioned, albeit briefly.

You may just have defined my next project--record a program on how to make backups, image or otherwise, and restore them accessibly. A friend of mine reminded me that I actually did this sixteen years ago on ACB Radio's Main Menu, showing how it's possible to back up files that are not recreatable or re-downloadable unless they are retyped, using WinZIP. How far we've come! I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have image backups of all my systems and one of them suffered a catastrophic unrecoverable error. There's just too much to have to rebuild, too many programs to install and re-license, too many customizations to re-apply, not to have at least two boot-drive image backups on hand at all times. Why two? In case one goes bad or gets misplaced. Yes, you even need backups for your backup!

On 8/16/2018 2:45 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 02:34 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
I'm going to explode if I have to answer this again. Please read all the other messages in this thread.
I have, and you mentioned, here, that there is a version of Windows PE, and clearly a custom one, that has NVDA speech enabled.  This would not be the one that any backup and recovery tool taken "off the shelf" and if you used it to create recovery media would use.

I have not seen a single "unreasonable question" with regard to asking you, and you directly, for a step-by-step, comprehensive tutorial regarding what you do and how you do it.

I stand by my earlier statements that without an awful lot of specialized knowledge it is highly unlikely that the random blind or visually impaired user using "off the shelf" Windows PE recovery will have speech enabled and also have no idea of how/where to get it.

I thank you, and others, profusely for giving information about a Windows PE environment that has speech with NVDA, at the very least.

It would be really nice, though, to have a tutorial document going through everything from start to finish.