Re: serious trouble managing thousands of emails via gmail

See:  Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface

And, yes, this does have to be done via the webmail interface for Gmail, but it is by far the easiest way of doing mass selection and deletion provided you know the search criteria you want to use for the selection part of the process.

The above was written using the Gmail web interface that was in place just before this very latest update, which some people may not even have yet.  I have not had time to test out whether anything has changed, but I doubt it, just because so little has changed with the mechanics of everything else since the update.  It's been much more of a change in appearance than anything else.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill