Re: Migrating to Firefox from Internet Explorer

Joe DiNero

I have been looking to migrate over for a little while now and now you can’t get navigational sounds. Agreed that it is taking a step backwards. I was getting ready to switch to Firefox for teaching purposes as IE is going to quickly get more and more inaccessible. Navigational sounds are not a deal breaker but they are nice to have.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 11:32 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Migrating to Firefox from Internet Explorer

No, there is no other add-ons for Firefox Quantum that plays these additional sounds, nor is this feature built in.  Besides Navigational Sounds, other add-ons like Webvisum and Plain Old Favorites also do not work with FirefoxQuantum, which, as far as I’m concerned, represents a major step backwards in terms of accessibility with JAWS.  And Firefox Quantum only works with JAWS 2018 and not with earlier versions.  The last version of Firefox that still works with Navigational Sounds and the other add-ons is Firefox 52 ESR.

Gerald

Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 11:09 AM

Good Morning Bill,

Thank you. So this only gives a sound for downloads? There is no way to add sounds for other navigation such as entering on links etc? Or does Firefox have that built in now?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 10:48 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi, Joe. Navigational Sounds is no longer available through the AddOn Manager of Firefox. This is because Navigational Sounds no longer works with Firefox Quantum (version 60 and up).

Instead,

1.  open Firefox.

2. Press CONTROL plus SHIFT plus A to open the AddOn Manager.

3. Tab to the list of available categories within the AddOn Manager.

4. The category you want to open is Extensions. When you find it, press ENTER.

5. TAB to the search box and enter

download sound.

6. The AddOn you want to install is:

Download Sound1.4By

BPS

Plays a sound or utters a text using speech synthesis when a download is completed.This simple extension plays a sound or utters a text using speech synthesis

when a download is completed.

This is a deceptive description, because, as installed, it just plays a simple ding sound, once the AddOn is installed.

This is the best way to get a download sound for Firefox downloads.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe DiNero
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 7:17 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Migrating to Firefox from Internet Explorer

Good Morning Folks,

I am about to make the switch to Firefox from Internet Explorer. If I remember correctly from a couple years ago in one of the FS free webinars on the topic there was a navigational sounds add on. Is that add on still available? Also any recommendations for any other helpful add ons or tips for migration?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.