Re: Is there a way to encourage companies to make accessibility a prioity if you have a large base of users?

Built-in and out of the box accessibility is great and it is exactly what Apple has done with Voiceover and what Microsoft is doing with Narrator right now. However, not everybody requires the same level of accessibility and having third-party solutions like Jaws which do cost money because there is actually an organisation behind it which has to pay wages,, rent or buy a building and all that. Mich, I doubt Jaws is drowning in money and you can’t always expect perfection to be included. Does it make sense, for example, to built every house according to the best specs out there for wheelchair users just because maybe at some point somebody in a wheelchair might want to live there? There are other examples where accessibility is just not feasible and games is one such example. How many games are entirely visual, accessibility is just not possible and I for one don’t expect it. The fact is we are blind and lack the sense of sight and not level of accessibility will give us sight and at times sight is what is required. Should every movie or TV series have audio descriptions? Absolutely. Should popular devices, software applications and services be accessible? Absolutely. But some things just can’t be made accessible and there is nothing wrong with that.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mich Verrier
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 5:58 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is there a way to encourage companies to make accessibility a prioity if you have a large base of users?

Poverty? These are molty billion doller companies. If any one should pleed poverity it should be theconsumers of these products for paying the amount that we have to pay for sutch products like jaws and other things like that. To me accessibillidey shoud be bilt in from the start not tacked on as a afterthought and then have a moad for lind or vi or what ever your disibillidey is and a sepprit moad for others. This includes for games, or any other thing that companies want to make accessible it should be thought of at the start not when the product is all ready out in the market and then have to re tune it with accessibillidey in mind and charge through the nose for it. From Mich.