Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2018 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: is there a way to encourage companies to make accessibility if you have a larbase of users?

If an organization of the blind, like the American Council, or the National Federation, want to fight for something, often things change for the better.  Case in point was the ACB getting involved   with Major League Baseball inaccessibility.  The problem is getting them motivated.

My main question is why hasn't one or both of these groups fought for accessibility of virus protection products?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--St. Francis

On 8/4/2018 11:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 11:43 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
"how can we convince companies to change their attitudes about accessibility?"
That is the one and only way that accessibility becomes, well, more accessible.  Using the correct kind of PR spin doesn't hurt, either.  There are no "big bucks" to be made via accessibility but the polishing of one's reputation that comes from making it a priority is a potential goldmine.  I don't think that either Microsoft or Apple, two of the biggest companies making accessibility a base expectation, are doing so because it improves their bottom line in the conventional sense, yet they're definitely getting something out of it and that's worth noting and encouraging.

Creating corporate cultures where accessibility is an expectation, rather than an afterthought if it's thought of at all, is the way forward.  At the moment, it seems the tide is shifting in that direction, at least for companies where that's practical (and, yes, it's much more difficult for tiny companies with limited resources than it is for companies with multi-billion [or trillion] valuations).  But what the "big ones" do does rub off.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Avast logo