Re: shut down sound for windows 10

What exactly do you mean by "normal stuff"?
I also have pointed out that in some ways Windows 10 is a step back for accessibility especially with legacy applications where in Windows 7 the Jaws cursor could often be used to great effect. However, let's face it, accessibility has never received as much attention by these large organisations (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon etc.) as it is getting now and over the last 6 or 8 years. Apple started the ball rolling with Voiceover and while Microsoft the corporation is neither blind nor sighted since it doesn't have eyes, there are plenty of blind employees who are part of Microsoft and who probably do their best to push accessibility forward. Why a few people get their panties in such a wad over this shutdown sound is a mystery to me especially since instructions as to how to get it back have been posted and Brian has even posted his registry file which does it all for you. The result may not always be reliable for everybody, but those who want it should at least try it. Furthermore, as far as knowing whether a computer has shut down is not necessarily determined by its shutdown sound. I had situations where in Windows 7 the shutdown sound played and then a sighted employee told me my computer screen displayed some message which required action and the computer had not shut down. As Brian said, if you are that concerned and require the feedback and if you don't have a DVD drive, then plug in a USB stick and see if the computer plays any sounds.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of cecropia64
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Problem is that Microsoft isn't blind.  They really have no idea how hard it can be for us.  If they did I think they'd put more effort into it.  I know they have come a long way but it would be nice if they made the normal stuff more useable as well, not just their own stuff.

On 7/31/2018 11:18 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

MS doesn't give a rat's ass what the public thinks.  If it did, it
would have replaced the much-despised ribbon menu structure with the
more convenient and less cumbersome classic menu structure that most
of its customers, sighted and blind alike,  prefer. On the contrary,
MS seems to go out of its way to frustrate and tick off its customers
just to prove that they can do anything they damn well please and get
away with it.

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: Aleeha Dudley
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi all,
I am a very infrequent poster on this list, but I needed to contribute
on this one.
The lack of a shutdown sound does NOT indicate a lack of accessibility
You could always use a light detector app to determine if the screen
is off, or place your ear close to the computer to hear the different
sounds stop. Systems change. That’s a fact. The Mac, for example, does
not make the startup sound on the new machines. It’s sad, but it’s
true. In an age where people want faster operating systems and less
noise from machines, Microsoft has to go with what the public wants,
not a niche market. If you really think that Microsoft or any other
company is stepping back in terms of accessibility, I’d strongly
encourage you to do a bit of research into current accessibility
developments first.
Aleeha
On Jul 31, 2018, at 9:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@earthlink.net>
wrote:

hi list members, what version of jaws are being used currently? If
the answers is jaws 2018 or jaws 17 then you should hear all system
sounds. I'currently using jaws version 16.  This means that if you're
using jaws 17 or 2018 with windows 10 version 1803 you should hear
all system soundsI'm going to check to see whether windows 10 version
1803 does the same with firefox?