From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Him

It’s been like this since Windows 8, with overall emphasis on making desktop experience similar to that of tablets and smartphones (with mixed success and bringing controversy along the way).

My overall impression is that shutdown sounds (or for that matter, system sounds) is NOT an indicator of level of accessibility of an operating system; they are “earcons” (ear plus icons), meant to convey confirmation of an event via audible means. To me, what defines accessibility is a combination of attitudes and technologies (some of you would recognize this statement, as I’ve been championing this since 2014 when Windows Insider Program was first launched). Attitudes matter because how users and developers understand accessibility and needs of customers will shape how accessible the end product will be. Technologies matter because without means of delivering on that attitudes, attempts at convincing the public and developers won’t be that strong. Thus, to me, lack of shutdown sounds is a small thing compared to attitudes of some developers who think it is okay to just design beautiful interfaces without giving thoughts to accessibility, and screen reader vendors are not exempt from this.

I do understand that what I said above may offend some of you. However, I think it is important for us to think about the big picture in the realm of accessibility.

Cheers,

Jsoeph