Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Hi,

I should have started with the below post by putting commas instead of the letter “m” – my apologies for that.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Him

It’s been like this since Windows 8, with overall emphasis on making desktop experience similar to that of tablets and smartphones (with mixed success and bringing controversy along the way).

My overall impression is that shutdown sounds (or for that matter, system sounds) is NOT an indicator of level of accessibility of an operating system; they are “earcons” (ear plus icons), meant to convey confirmation of an event via audible means. To me, what defines accessibility is a combination of attitudes and technologies (some of you would recognize this statement, as I’ve been championing this since 2014 when Windows Insider Program was first launched). Attitudes matter because how users and developers understand accessibility and needs of customers will shape how accessible the end product will be. Technologies matter because without means of delivering on that attitudes, attempts at convincing the public and developers won’t be that strong. Thus, to me, lack of shutdown sounds is a small thing compared to attitudes of some developers who think it is okay to just design beautiful interfaces without giving thoughts to accessibility, and screen reader vendors are not exempt from this.

I do understand that what I said above may offend some of you. However, I think it is important for us to think about the big picture in the realm of accessibility.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:10 AM

So I will say it again.  The shut down sound was there, and now it is not?  Why not?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 7/31/2018 1:54 PM, Aleeha Dudley wrote:

What about the fact that the iPhone and Mac don’t and have never had, shut down sounds? Why are we not bashing Apple as well? The point that has been made that Microsoft should focus on more important accessibility features rather than focusing on the shut down sound. The shut down sound is not an accessibility feature. And you’re right: they’re spending more time on accessibility features than worrying about a petty little concern that doesn’t even conclusively indicate anything. The computer is not shut down when you hear the sound. It is only shut down when the fans and hard drive stop.

Aleeha

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:34 PM

Someone said if you uncheck fast startup in the power settings the

startup and shutdown sound options return.  On my system they do not.

I wonder how many people that have fast startup enabled know that this

does not do the same as a restart?  If you have fast startup enabled you

should on a regular basis do a system restart.  I have fast startup

disabled as I think a full shutdown gives you better overall

performance.  Can't think that a few more seconds for bootup is a

terrible thing.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.