Re: JAWS July Update, J2018.1807.8, Download Links + What's New

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Mike,

I am not disputing that downloading the updater and installing Jaws that way isn’t a good thing. However, during this thread some of those who seem in favour of this method indicated that it is the official advice of Freedom Scientific to update this way and based on all I heard that is simply not the case. As I said and as you confirmed, FS gives people who have issues with Jaws this advice and that is fine. You can also find this advice from Microsoft regarding updates. I’m not positive about Windows 10, but in Windows 7 you can find all the KB updates almost all of us install via Windows Update as stand-alone installers and if you get an error with an update not installing via Windows Update, I have read that it is recommended to try and download the stand-alone installer package of the offending update and to try and install it this way.

In the same way some people say they can’t update iTunes when a notice pops up that there is a new update and they have to always download iTunes and install it this way. Again, this is the case for some and for others it is not and because of this Apple does not officially recommend not to update via the update feature just as FS does not officially say this. I am not going to continue to reply to this thread after this message, but I think it is simply wrong to advise people not to update Jaws when the message pops up that an update is available claiming FS themselves give this advice, they only give it if there are issues so if you update and don’t have issues it’s a mute point.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS July Update, J2018.1807.8, Download Links + What's New

Hi Sieghard,

Regardless if you or anyone else has no issues with the built updating option, just as many if not more have had issues using it.  Whether or not it's posted on the website to make it an official command doesn't matter to the people that have had problems with the updater, but it does matter to those that have been told by FS / VFO tech support to download the installer and run from their computer.

In past updates Jaws used to only update the updated components using the auto updater, but according to FS / VFO the newer versions of JAWS beginning with either J17 or J18 download the full version using the auto updater, and not just the updated components.

If you need an official announcement, which you probably won't find, but if you can't accept the fact that others have had problems using the auto updater, then that is something you should take into consideration when you're having a problem others are not having!

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:09 PM

I wonder where this illusive FS recommendation can be found? If it is something FS recommends when people call tech support because of an issue than it is not a general recommendation.

If the update message included text like “use this update method at your own risk, it is recommended that Jaws is updated by visiting www.FreedomScientfic.com and manually downloading the installer” then that would be an official recommendation.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:17 PM

Yes, many times the Auto Update works but there are many situations and variables that cause it to mal function.  Thtat’s why Freedom Scientific continues to recommend using the link from the website and doing a full install.  You and I may not have issues but that does not mean the problem is not real for many.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:37 PM

What better result can you get beyond everything working perfectly as it should?

I understand that if you are having issues of any sort FS recommends you download Jaws from the website and install it, but just as others I have had no issues whatsoever with using the update feature to install updates for a very long time.

I also think FS would not offer the feature if people had problems with it more often than not.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:48 AM

Firewall is not always the issue, Freedom Scientific recommends in my experience agrees, that if you can avoid using the auto update and get it directly from the website most often get a better result 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Steve Nutt <steve@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:19:20 AM
To:
main@jfw.groups.io

Bill, I’ve never seen that either.  It’s worked for me with auto update and repair for years.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 18 July 2018 00:58

The problem isn’t necessarily the download and installation of the update. The problem sometimes occurs when you want to do a repair of JAWS using the latest JAWS installer. Sometimes it won’t work, because JAWS wasn’t installed with the installer from the website.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Melissa Stott
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:39 PM
To:
main@jfw.groups.io

I downloaded from the automatic update, and had no problems.

Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:42 PM

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over

the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a

update is available?

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.