Re: How much is Outlook for the desktop?

Lee Maschmeyer

Thanks, Brian. I'm very glad to be wrong. The new way is never as good as the old one and I guess that's where I am now. I won't do a little more checking on other clients; I'll do a lot more checking on this one. <grin>

On 7/18/2018 11:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 08:01 PM, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:

I have to switch to a new mail program. I'm now using Thunderbird but I
think it's a really substandard system. The fact that Mozilla cut it loose
sounds like a resounding vote of no confidence.
I suggest you do a little more playing with various e-mail clients before making a comment like this one.  Any e-mail client does not come to have the embedded user base that Thunderbird has if it's "really substandard."

There's a ton of tech press material out there about the reasons for "splitting off" Thunderbird from Firefox, which has happened, but its home still remains under the Mozilla organization.  It's far from dying, too, in fact it's picked up steam since this organizational split.

All of the above being said, there are quite a few different e-mail clients out there, but the two that are really commonly used and have good accessibility on a consistent basis have been MS-Outlook and Thunderbird.  If you would still like to use Windows Live Mail 2012 it still works just fine for POP and IMAP mail, and I downloaded the final full installer for Windows Essentials 2012, of which WLM is a part, just before it was pulled from Microsoft's site.  You can download it here ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98uELZbPFnOSF8xTzhfYnh4WUU ) , if you so choose.  It was and remains quite accessible under JAWS and NVDA.  I haven't tried it with Narrator.
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

          ~ Dorothy Nevill