web navigation question

Van Lant, Robin

All,

It seems that web design is including more pop-ups that visually present on top of the web page, but that are not a separate dialog box per se.  In my experiences, it is hit or miss as to whether a screen reader will place focus on this pop up.  If not, I cannot figure out how to get to it.  I’m encountering this a lot on SharePoint at work, but I’ve seen this in other websites.  Sometimes the pop-up  is a confirmation window and other times is a link I clicked on to open some sort of extra information.

What advice do you have on accessing these?  If JAWS does not automatically get focus there or if I somehow get taken away from focus, I cannot figure out how to get back to the pop-up.

Robin

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114