Re: using cortana

Ann Byrne

Cortana can also be accessed with Windows key+c.

At 08:31 AM 7/8/2018, you wrote:

Here is something I found on the web.

The complete list of Cortana commands

(Almost) everything you can say to Cortana.

BYSARAH JACOBSSON PUREWAL

MAY 6, 2016 8:30 AM PDT

If you don't use Cortana, Microsoft's voice-activated personal assistant, you're missing out on some handy, hands-free functionality -- especially now that she's fully integrated into Windows 10, and Windows 10 is everywhere .

Like Apple's Siri and Google's Google Now, Cortana is an intelligent personal assistant who can help you with everything from launching applications to scheduling appointments. She can even adjust a handful of device settings, such as toggling your Wi-Fi on and off. Microsoft hasn't published a full list of Cortana commands, so we pulled together this unofficial list of all the things you can ask or say to Cortana on Windows 10 devices.

Hey, Cortana

There are a few ways to get Cortana's attention.

• Click or tap thhe Cortana button on the taskbar. If you do not see Cortana on your taskbar, right-click the taskbar and go to Cortana > Show Cortana icon . • If you have 'Hey, Corttana' enabled, simply say "Hey, Cortana," followed by your question.

• If you're using a Windows Phone,, you can press and hold the search button to activate Cortana.

Basics

• Ask abouut the weather. Ex.: "What's the weather like?" or "What will the weather be like in two days?" or "Is it going to rain tomorrow?"

• Launch a program or open a website. Ex.: "Launnch Mozilla Firefox" or "Open <http://CNET.com>CNET.com."

• Make a phonne call. Ex.: "Call Sarah," or "Call John on speakerphone."

• Hear Cortana read the top news headlines. Ex.: "Show me top headlines."

• Take a note in OneNote. Ex..: "Take a note" or "Note it down."

• Draft an email. Ex.: "Write an email to [contact] saying [message]."

• Draft a text message. Ex.: "Write a text to [contact] saying [message]."

• See texts oor emails from a specific person. Ex.: "Show me emails from Timmy."

• Perform simple calcuulations. Ex.: "What's 35 times 16?" or "What's 23 minus two?"

• Perform converssions. Ex.: "What is five miles in kilometers" or "How many teaspoons in a cup?"

• Define a word. Ex.: "What's the definition of 'table'?" or "Do you know what 'gargantuan' means?"

• Track packages (needs email accouunt configured in the Mail app). Ex.: "Where are my packages?"

Settings

• Turn on/off Wi-Fi.

• Turn on/off Bluettooth.

• Turn on/off Airplane Mode. list ennd

Scheduling/Reminders

"What do I have next week?" or "When is my dentist appointment?"

• Add an appointment tto your calendar. Ex.: "Add dentist appointment to Thursday at 3 p.m." or "Schedule phone call with Lisa tomorrow at 5 a.m."

• Move an apppointment. Ex.: "Move my dentist appointment to Friday."

• Set up reminders based on timee, person, or location. Ex.: "Remind me to call Timmy at 2 p.m." or "Remind me to ask about vacation time when I talk to Jenny" or "Remind me to take out the trash when I get home." Reminders can be one-offs or recurring (e.g., every Wednesday), and location-based reminders require a mobile device.

• Set an alarm. Ex.: "Set an alarm for 9 a.m. or "Wake me up in an hour."

• Show me my alarms.

• Ask about major hollidays. Ex.: "What day is Christmas?" or "When is Labor Day?" list end

• Find pictures, videos, documents, etc., on yyour device from a specific time frame. Ex.: "Find pictures from last week" or "Find documents from May 2015" or "Find videos from yesterday."

• Search files by name. Ex.: "Can you find a document called CNET?" or "Can you find a picture called 'cute dog'?"

• SSee basic search results, such as information about public figures, companies, places, and pop culture in Cortana's windows (without opening a browser window). Ex.: "How tall is Harrison Ford?" or "Who is the CEO of Google?" or "When was the Lincoln Memorial built?" list end

Maps/Navigation

• Where am I?

• Show me driving/ppublic transit/walking directions to [location/landmark].

• How long will it take me to get to [locaation]?

• What is traffic like on the way tto [location]?

• Show me a map of [locationn]. Ex.: "Show me a map of downtown Los Angeles," or "Show me a map of the area around Disneyland." list end

Entertainment

•¢ Look up a sports score. Ex.: "What was the score of the last Detroit Tigers game?"

• Finnd the run time of a movie. Ex.: "How long is Star Wars: Episode I?"

• Control music in thhe Groove app. Ex.: "Play [artist/song/genre/playlist/album]," or "Shuffle the music."

• Limited control over music in other apps. Ex.: Pause song" or "skip track."

• Identify the song that's playing. Ex.: "Whaat is this song?"

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain

On Jul 8, 2018, at 6:18 AM, Dennis Brown <<mailto:dennistbrown@...>dennistbrown@...> wrote:

David Moore,
Can we get a tutorial on Cortana’s uses? I find your Google Chrome tutorial very helpful.