moderated Re: "Clickable" WHAT?

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sorry about that dictation messed up I said draws settings

On Jul 7, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

What are drawl settings???

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 10:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: "Clickable" WHAT?

Maybe it might be something with his drawl settings him out my check those out

On Jun 26, 2018, at 11:10 PM, HH. Smith Jr. <josham129@...> wrote:

Hey Brian,

I visited the said links and I didn’t find or hear  “clickable”

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:24 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: "Clickable" WHAT?

Hello All,

I want to state before going any further that I did search the forum archive and while there was a lot of material out there complaining about the endless announcement of clickable on webpages, but nothing that seemed to explain why or how to resolve it.  If I missed it and this turns out to be an unwelcome rerun I apologize in advance.

I am working with JAWS 2018 and the latest version of Firefox.  The pages in question are the individual item pages in the McMaster Carr online catalog (mcmaster.com).  Additional questions, but unrelated to the "clickable" issue, will be coming.

While there are certain elements on the page, particularly search result narrowing items on the left side of the page, really are "clickable" and that how I activate them when I want to include only results that include the attribute(s) in question, virtually every row and column of a table that gives dimensional or feature information for the item is being announced as "clickable" and it absolutely is not in any meaningful sense of that word.

Can anyone tell me:

1.  What on earth is being indicated by saying "clickable" on text that, when one clicks on it, has absolutely no effect?  It's just plain text.

2.  Why anything that isn't clickable in the conventional sense of "you click it and some action will be performed" is being called such?

3.  How to get this insane flooding of "clickable" announcements to stop?

An example of the sort of page where you get endless "clickable" announcements from JAWS is for any one of the individual tie-down products on this McMaster Carr webpage:  https://www.mcmaster.com/#cargo-tie-downs/=1dgh56u     I believe it was also occurring on a single product description page, too, e.g., https://www.mcmaster.com/#8840t561/=1dgh5xg where the table on the page is having "clickable" announced on each and every item as one is walked through it.

Thank you in advance for any insights you have to offer.  This is entirely new "weird behavior" territory for me, particularly on the scale at which it's occurring.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.