Re: JAWS and a tree view

Soronel Haetir

Well, given that, you may well be out of luck. Still, try the window
class reassign and you may get lucky. Beyond that I suppose you could
potentially do something with scripting, but that would be pretty
painful.

How many nodes are they talking about? I've had tree views with 100k
nodes or more and didn't really notice problems.

On 12/29/11, Dondi <zidnod63@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Here's what I heard back from the people at the Treepad company right after
I posted my question to the list.

Thank you for contacting TreePad support.

The difference regarding the tree pane between TreePad Lite and TreePad
Business Edition is that TreePad Lite uses the standard Windows tree control
(a dll inside the Windows directory), while TreePad Business Edition uses a
custom tree control (compiled into the program).

The standard windows tree control is a deliberately crippled and slowed down
thing - we cannot use it for more powerful programs such as TreePad Business
Edition and TreePad X Enterprise. It will become very slow when the number
of nodes increases above a certain point. The cause for this problem is that
Microsoft does not want competing software companies to have a good tree
control in their products, so they have crippled it.

This results in other companies, such as ourselves, needing to create their
own tree controls if more than a certain number of nodes are rquired. The
downside of this, is that reader programs such as JAWS, which expect the
standard windows tree control, are not prepared to read these custom tree
controls.
Perhaps the screen reader JAWS can be configured to read our custom tree
control - you might want to contact them regarding this issue. It is not an
issue of the JAWS reader, nor is it a TreePad issue. But perhaps JAWS can be
configured so that you can utilize our tree control (used in TPBiz as well
as the TPBiz manual).

Dondi