moderated Re: Question about learning foreign languages with JAWS

Andre Polykanine <andre@...>

Hello Emil,
I might sound a bit too harsh to everyone (sorry about that), but
if you really want to learn a language (Spanish in your case), please
don't listen to those suggestions like pressing Alt + numpad keys,
using Word keystrokes, and so on, and so forth. They are
completely useless unless you plan to make a couple assignments and
give up with it. I speak quite a number of languages (seven,
to be precise), and I suggest you to do just one thing: add the
Spanish keyboard layout, learn it and switch to it whenever you need
to type in Spanish.
then you'll also need a Spanish TTS (voice) to have correct speech
output. If you use Eloquence or Vocalizer Expressive, basically JAWS
should switch languages automagically, though it doesn't do it very
well because it's extremely complicated to detect what language it is,
unless specified: both English and Spanish have Latin alphabet, and
there are plenty of Spanish words with no diacritics in them, so you
can't say to your PC just "Interpret these characters as English, and
those characters as Spanish". Inspite of what I said, voice switching
seems to work reasonably well in Office apps and in web browsers.
Good luck in your learning!

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre