moderated Re: Question about learning foreign languages with JAWS

James Malone

Hi Brian, James Malone here. I’m afraid that Emil has set his preferences to no mail, but has selected to go on line to pull his answers off the web site from the list. He is one of my students, so what I can do is forward this message to him. You can however email him off list if you like and explain this as well. I’m sure he’ll want to hear from you. I also explained that this list is not too busy, and he won’t get slammed by a bunch of emails in regards to any issues that doesn’t pertain to him depending on where he has his email settings. He was receiving daily  digest, but decided to go with no mail. If you can please! Explain that the list has several ways to give information to him with several kinds of control without overloading his email?

Thanks for your help.

James

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2018 8:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Question about learning foreign languages with JAWS

Emil,

Presuming you're using MS-Word to do your assignments, it is easy to insert individual characters related to most common foreign (using English as the base) languages with a series of keystrokes.  See the search results from, https://duckduckgo.com/?q=MS-Word+foreign+characters, for the tutorial of your choice.

If you happen to know the name (or a significant part of it) for a given character you're looking for you can use the Windows built-in Character Map program pretty effectively with a screen reader, too.  If you enter enough of the character name in the search field you can often limit the returned list to one, but this works much better for special characters such as "Registered,"  "Degree," etc., than it does for letters with diacritics.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.