moderated Re: Headings List Behaving Erratically

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 09:28 am, Nermin wrote:
That’s what blindys have to suffer. I’m used to that on the web though...
I am not foolish enough to even begin to believe that I've "encountered it all" with regard to the web and screen reader use, not even close to it, but this is the first time I've encountered this behavior with regard to using headings as what I call "click landmarks" that give you the descriptive information you need to decide whether a click is worth it.  Using INS+F6 on newspaper webpages, search engine results pages, product search results pages, and the list goes on allows you to eliminate having to look at a proverbial sea of garbage and come down to a  "pond of content with a few bits of floating detritus" in comparison.

It's just infuriating to me, and I can only begin to scratch the surface of how much more infuriating it must be to those who are encountering this sort of thing all the time.  What's even worse, at least from my perspective (and as someone sighted that's likely to be different than yours), is that it's often times well-nigh impossible to know if what one is encountering is a screen reader bug, a webpage coding bug, or something else entirely without digging way under the hood.  In my case, if I even have that luxury, it really disrupts the flow of my student learning what I'm hoping to teach them.  And before anyone says it, yes, I do know it teaches them the reality of how this technology sometimes "doesn't work" and that they need to be fluid about thinking about workarounds.  I try to teach that, too, but I prefer that to occur after the more basic skills of how one should be able to do things in "the typical case" have been firmly established.   Lately, with this student, given what he needs to be able to access, that seems to be well-nigh impossible to accomplish in practice.

         ~ Mark Twain