moderated Re: Accessing "Search Limiting" column on Amazon and other sites

Robin Frost

Hi Sir,
I accessed the Amazon smile page about gps devices in Google Chrome and jfw 2018 isn’t even showing me any check boxes on that one and while I see/hear many links presented none seemed to verbalize anything about further refining search criteria.
I am sorry not to have any answers for you but did want to report in my experience with the page offered if it is of any use.
Take good care.
Robin

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Accessing "Search Limiting" column on Amazon and other sites

First I'll give two pages that can be used as illustrations of what I'm talking about:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_7?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=car+gps&sprefix=car+gps%2Caps%2C204&crid=3PV9DKR2H61VR 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#cargo-tie-downs/=1dgh5vs 

In both cases there is a column of links presented on the left side of the screen where one can click on them to limit the results presented on the right further than they are by your original search phrase.  In the case of the smile.amazon page even further down are sequences of checkboxes that serve the same purpose (and eBay, among many other sites, does the same thing).   I am having a bear of a time trying to figure out how one accesses that column in any coherent manner.  These controls are not shown as headings (no surprise), they're not showing up sometimes even in the list of links on a page, they aren't in a region or list (or often aren't).

What is the trick (if any) to accessing this area to further narrow one's search scope where all the controls are within some sort of scope rather than scattered at random or completely invisible?

If these are typically nightmarish, and my having this issue is secondary to my lack of needing to use JAWS routinely (read: ignorance), please don't hesitate to let me know that.  I just don't know if this is ignorance of what I should be doing, ignorance of the fact that nothing can be done, or something else entirely.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.