moderated Accessing "Search Limiting" column on Amazon and other sites

First I'll give two pages that can be used as illustrations of what I'm talking about:

                  https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_7?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=car+gps&sprefix=car+gps%2Caps%2C204&crid=3PV9DKR2H61VR

                  https://www.mcmaster.com/#cargo-tie-downs/=1dgh5vs

In both cases there is a column of links presented on the left side of the screen where one can click on them to limit the results presented on the right further than they are by your original search phrase.  In the case of the smile.amazon page even further down are sequences of checkboxes that serve the same purpose (and eBay, among many other sites, does the same thing).   I am having a bear of a time trying to figure out how one accesses that column in any coherent manner.  These controls are not shown as headings (no surprise), they're not showing up sometimes even in the list of links on a page, they aren't in a region or list (or often aren't).

What is the trick (if any) to accessing this area to further narrow one's search scope where all the controls are within some sort of scope rather than scattered at random or completely invisible?

If these are typically nightmarish, and my having this issue is secondary to my lack of needing to use JAWS routinely (read: ignorance), please don't hesitate to let me know that.  I just don't know if this is ignorance of what I should be doing, ignorance of the fact that nothing can be done, or something else entirely.

         ~ Mark Twain