moderated Re: Designing an Accessible User Interface

David Ingram

hI HOW ARE YOU? mAYBE THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN WRITE JAWS SCRIPTS FOR THIS PROGRAM THAT WILL BE ABLE TO DO THE PROPER LABELING OF THE GRAPHICS AND BUTTONS.  also IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT PROGRAMS LIKE THIS.  I CAN BE REACHED AT DINGRAM269@....

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jun 19, 2018 8:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Designing an Accessible User Interface

I'm actually talking about making something like an accessible version of Atmosphere Deluxe. Originally, the program, made by Vectormedia Software, was created with Visual Basic 6.0. Unfortunately, they made a lot of the controls so that JAWS speaks them identically (JAWS says "Graphic 0"), despite the fact that some are buttons, and some are sliders. It recognizes the checkboxes just right. Also, the colors are mostly "Black on Black", so I can't tell where I'm pointing to, as the company didn't exactly design it with screenreader compatibility in mind. You can download and test Atmosphere Deluxe here: http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/atmdeluxedown.htm. The next email I'm sending is one that Vectormedia Software sent me back in May of 2010, when I first asked them about accessibility. This is what inspired me to perhaps partner with them to redesign their interface from scratch.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Ingram
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:49 AM
Subject: Re: Designing an Accessible User Interface

Hi, how are you?  What are you trying to do in terms of the subject.  Are you trying to create an accessible patch editor or is it something else?  From what you are trying to describe it sounds like you want to create an interface that will allow you to load and save patches as well as having the ability to adjust volume controls for each of the patches.  This is what I understand But is there something else that i'm not understanding.  When you say slots are you talking memory slots or are you talking about creating a template of 16 tracks of midi and or audio with the different volume controls as well as velocity controls.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jun 19, 2018 2:42 AM
Subject: Designing an Accessible User Interface

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I'm not sure how to put this, so for now, I'll just make it short and sweet. I want to design a user interface that is accessible to both sighted and blind folks alike, and I'm wondering, what is the perfect way to design the controls so they look like those found on the browser of the Windows Operating System? Also, how do you change colors for foreground and background so they'll be recognized when the button or control is navigated to by either the PC Cursor or the JAWS cursor, then press JAWSKey+5? For example, I want to make a button that is "Light Sky Blue" on "Forest Green". How would I program those parameters? Is there a way to make the program in a plain text editor like Notepad? Specifically, I'm making a program where you can toggle sounds by checking/unchecking checkboxes, and load them by pressing "Open" buttons in each slot. You can then adjust the Volume, Volume Range, Rate Of Change, and L/R Balance with sliders. There'll be left-right sliders for the "L/R Balance" slots, and Up/Down Sliders for the "Volume", "Volume Range", and "Rate Of Change" slots. I'm also wanting to put other common controls like Radio Buttons, "Open" dialogs, Listboxes, Dials, and other user-friendly controls.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.