moderated Re: Problem with JAWS ducking while Skype Runs in windows 10 1803.17134.112

Maria Campbell

Windows 10 Automatically Reduces System Volume for Games & PC Calls

While you are using your PC to place or receive calls or while you are playing games which use PC calls feature, Windows automatically reduces the system
volume without even asking you.

Actually its a new feature which was introduced in Windows 7 which can be disabled using the following simple steps:

1. Open "Sound" applet from Control Panel.

Or right-click on Speaker icon present in system tray and select "Playback devices" or "Recording devices" or "Sounds" option.

2. Now go to "Communications" tab and check the option "Do nothing" and Apply it.

3. That's it. Now Windows will no longer reduce the system volume.

Second option:

Press JAWS key plus SPACE BAR, then the letter D as in dog. If JAWS says Ducking other audio, this was not the problem. Repeat the steps,

Press JAWS key plus SPACE BAR, then the letter D as in dog.

JAWS should say, Do not duck other audio.

This is where the setting should stay in order that JAWS does not reduce system volume.

Bill White

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--St. Francis

On 6/17/2018 2:40 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
That's it in a nutshell. Didn't happen before the 1803.17134.112 update. When the original Skype, version 7.4 Desktop application, is running in JAWS 17 and above, and a call is instantiated either in- or outbound, the JAWS level is instantly ducked, not to come up again until the call ends. I've looked in Windows settings, and the only thing I can find is how to control the sound of other applications when Narrator is speaking, which is not checked. The box in Skype to automatically adjust speaker volume is also not checked. Anything I can try to stop this behavior gratefully appreciated and graciously accepted.