moderated Re: Designing Audio Software

Steve Matzura

The interface problem is not language-specific. Usually these things are done with external libraries that are accessible by any, or most, programming language(s). Unfortunately, the reprogramming required to get you what you want is not a small task, which is why it's very difficult to get any of these small outfits to actually do it. Everybody claims poverty--small staff, small budget, looking to innovate for the main customer base, you know the shpiel. But good on ya for continuing to work with these people and guide them toward better access for screenreader users.

On 6/1/2018 4:29 PM, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
Hi, it's Annabelle.
I've been working with Atmosphere Deluxe (http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/atmdeluxehome.htm), and I want to help Vectormedia Software redesign their interface so it works with JAWS. currently, the program is in Visual Basic, which has a hard time being recognized by JAWS, especially since some of the controls are spoken the exact same way (JAWS says "Graphic 0"), despite the fact that each one is different. For example, some of the controls are buttons, and some are sliders, and some are checkboxes. I can't seem to customize them with Frame Viewer, as some of these controls, at least to JAWS, look exactly identical. So now that brings up my question, how can I help Vectormedia Software to trade Visual Basic for a programming language that is universally understood by most screenreaders, but especially JAWS? I was thinking they could redesign the interface to look like the main browser of the Windows operating system. Or even something that can be recognized by all operating systems. Kind of like what Applied Acoustics of Canada (http://www.applied-acoustics.com) does with their physical models of guitars. From what I understand, Strum Acoustic and Strum Electric, made by Applied Acoustics, are designed with C++. If you download Atmosphere Deluxe from http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/atmdeluxedown.htm, you'll be able to understand what I mean when I say the interface of Atmosphere Deluxe is only partially recognized by JAWS. Back in an Email dated May 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM, one of the reps at Vectormedia Software said they could possibly redesign their interface from scratch, but I haven't heard anything from them regarding that or any other questions I have since August 1, 2012 at 3:47 AM. I sure hope the company's still around, because they haven't updated their website since July 22, 2012.