moderated Re: Outlook, .pop vs imap account

Timothy Brunemeyer

Sorry, I don’t use POP3, I can’t stand it’s limitations.

On May 31, 2018, at 9:05 PM, Tom <tomcat509@...> wrote:

Hi,

After changing to a new computer a few weeks ago, I was unable to get my old gmail account under pop3 using Outlook 2013 to work and was forced to change to imap.  The newly installed Outlook would not allow me to setup a Gmail pop3 account.  

I am anything but pleased with the result because I am being flooded with duplicate mail.

The mail is downloaded into the inbox as you would expect  but a copy of many of the messages is sent to another box called “important”. I have to go through this list as well because sometimes this box receives messages which are not sent to the inbox. This means manually removeing messages from both boxes.

Just today, another gmail account, which has nothing to do with this one, received messages from this list but they  had a 2017 date and they were sent to the “important” box of that account.

Does anyone know of another provider which has free email accounts like gmail  which allows pop3 accounts. There is Hotmail of course but have never used it.

Thanks

Tom

I am thinking very seriously of

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Friday, 1 June 2018 12:14 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook, .pop vs imap account

Same thing here with IMAP. I still use it, though, because I have two computers, and I wouldn’t be able to see the same messages on both computers if I used POP.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gudrun Brunot
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2018 5:29 PM
To:
main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Outlook, .pop vs imap account

Hi: Up until recently, I’ve had a .pop account with my Outlook 2010. Per recommendations from knowledgeable and trustworthy individuals, I’ve switched over to imap. What I’ve noticed is that the action is a lot less crisp and snappy than with my old .pop account. The advantage with imap is, supposedly, that your messages, except for the absolute most recent ones, reside on your server rather than taking up space on your hard drive, thus older messages can be downloaded if you click on them. My interaction with my .pop email account, deleting, moving, reading, used to be immediate. I now experience a lot of sluggish delays, plus JAWS freezing, with my imap. When I delete messages, same thing. I often have to sit there and wait for a deletion to finish, and JAWS freezes. It often doesn’t seem to matter whether I delete one message or three conversations. What’s the experience of the rest of you?

Gudrun

Find my resume, listen to samples, and read about my services: vocal instruction, voiceover production, translation, phone interpreting, sound design, and hear clips from my CD, J-Walking by visiting

http://www.gudrunbrunot.com

New Email Address:  brunotgudrun@...

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.