I am presuming you are speaking of AutoNumbering in Microsoft Word (or Microsoft Office more generally).
To permanently turn off the automatic creation of numbered lists (and/or bulleted lists) as you type:
1. Activate the File Tab, Options Item - ALT+F,T
2. Arrow down to Proofing then hit TAB to enter the Proofing Controls.
3. Activate the AutoCorrect Options Button - ALT+A
4. In the AutoCorrect Options dialog, navigate to the AutoFormat as you type tab.
5. Under the Apply as you type group, uncheck one, the other or both of these checkboxes: Automatic Numbered Lists, Automatic Bulleted Lists
6. OK your way back out to your document.
You may need to do the above while editing Normal.dotx, then saving it, in order for it to be off for all future blank documents created from Normal.dotx, but I am not absolutely certain of that. You can easily test this out by doing the above in whatever document you're editing then creating a new blank document and seeing if autonumbered/autobulleted lists are still off.
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
~ Mark Twain