moderated Re: Can jaws work with shared calendars?

Dave...

I believe (and I have mine set this way) you can view your calendars in overlay mode, so that all events show up concurrently in the same view. Check the View menu.

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 08:01
Subject: Re: Can jaws work with shared calendars?

Hi Jo and Robin,

Robin - the keystroke to jump from one calendar to another when both are on screen is F6.

Jo - below are some notes I wrote on this feature last December using JAWS 17. Apologies if this goes into too much detail or doesn't work for your situation.

You must always have one calendar open. To view someone else's calendar, you must open it alongside yours and then, if you wish to, you can close your own calendar.

From your calendar, Shift + F6 moves you to the folder tree view if it's onscreen. If it isn't on screen, you can use Alt + F1 to put it there; you may have to press Alt + F1 more than once. You can also turn it on from the ribbon - look for the Folder pane option on the View tab or in the Tell me what you want to do feature (Alt + Q)

The tree view contains the calendars you have available grouped within at least three groups. The My Calendar group holds your calendars - usually you have only one. Another group will have your manager's name; this group holds the calendars of the other people in your team. You might also have groups called Shared Calendars and Other Calendars; these group will be empty to start with, but if you open any other calendars, they will be put here.

JAWS works poorly in this tree view. It doesn't distinguish between headings of groups and items (which are indented on screen), and sometimes it misreports whether an item is checked (i.e. that person's calendar is visible on screen) or not.

The first time you open someone's calendar, you search for them in the Outlook address book, and when you open their calendar it is added to your Other Calendars group. The next time you want to open their calendar you can just find them in that group.

There are two ways to open someone's calendar for the first time.

1. Alt, H, O, C to get a menu, Enter to open the address book. Find someone in it in the usual way, then press Enter twice to open their calendar and close the address book. Focus will be left on the Shared Calendar group heading,

2. Alt, F, O, U to open a dialogue; type the name and press Enter, or Shift-Tab, Enter to open the address book and proceed as above.

To open someone's calendar after this, you can use either of these methods, or Shift + F6 to the tree view and find it there, then press Space, F6, F6 to move to it.

To close a second calendar once you've opened it, you can Shift + F6 to the tree view, find the calendar you want to close and press Space to uncheck it. Each time you open Outlook, it reverts to viewing just your calendar.

When you have two calendars open at the same time, they will have the same view - day, week, month etc. I like the week view, but sometimes when I open a calendar for the first time it changes to another view, so it's worth knowing the keystrokes for changing to different views. Alt + Ctrl + 1 gives you day view, Alt + Ctrl + 2 gives you week view and doesn't include the weekends, Al + Ctrl + 3 gives you week view including the weekends, and Alt + Ctrl + 4 gives you month view.

Keyboard navigation has changed for me with a recent update to Office; it used to be that Tab cycled around the items for whatever view was on screen, then some options for the weather and searching, and then back to the first of the calendar items. Now, Tab moves between the items for the view on screen and, when it gets to the last one, another Tab updates the screen to show the next day, week or month and I can go through those items. I know it's possible to alter when Office updates happen, so others may have had this update some time ago or may not have had it yet.

Hope that helps,
Steve 🐾

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: 21 May 2018 15:19
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can jaws work with shared calendars?

I have recently been referring to 2 additional calendars aside from my own in Outlook. Once checked in the left navigation pane, and assuming you are using the day view, the additional calendars will appear to the right of your personal calendar. I find it easiest to use Control G to go to the date I need, then tab through my own appointments for the day. Once I have reached the last appointment, the next tab takes me to the first appointment for the day on the next calendar and so on. I am not yet aware of a way to jump quickly to the next calendar.

Is this what you are referring to or are you wanting to just using the scheduling assistant to schedule a meeting with others?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jodie Hoger
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2018 5:22 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Can jaws work with shared calendars?

Hi Group,
Working on a project and need to be able to access multiple calendars in Outlook 16 and be able to add appointments.
Is this possible?
Thanks,
Jo

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.