From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 07:01 am, mike mcglashon wrote:

What if I wanted to search an entire folder with mixed filetypes in it,

Would I type:

“*.*:mike” to find “mike” in any file located within the current folder that is open?

Assuming the folder is indexed (and see the message from David Bailes in regard to that) the answer to your question is, "No."  All you need to do is to type mike (no quotes needed) in the search box of File Explorer.

The following is taken directly from one of my standard Cheat Sheets that I use when tutoring JAWS and Windows:

Using Windows Search

          Windows can search for files or folders with a certain name or it can search for files and folders not only with that certain name, but that contain that name (or word).

1.     Hit the Windows Key.

2.     If you only want to find files or folders with a given name, then type file: immediately followed by the name, or part of that name, that you’re searching for.

3.     If you want to find files or folders that contain a word or phrase

a.     If it’s a phrase, enclose the phrase in quotation marks

b.     If it’s a single word you don’t need the quotation marks

4.     Hit the Down Arrow twice to begin reviewing the search results.

         ~ Mark Twain