moderated Re: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

mike mcglashon

What if I wanted to search an entire folder with mixed filetypes in it,

Would I type:

“*.*:mike” to find “mike” in any file located within the current folder that is open?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 5:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

Hi David,

Or you could type Doc: before your search term  So if you were looking for “David”, and typed “doc:David”, it would only search in documents.  No tabbing, just remembering three characters.

If you want to do the reverse and look for files by name, rather than content, then file: is your friend.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Bailes
Sent: 09 May 2018 09:39
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

Hi John,
assuming that the files are somewhere in your personal folder, you can do this from the search box in the start menu. Normally when you search for files using the start menu, it only searches the names of files. However, if you filter the search results for documents, then the contents are searched as well. To do this:
1. In the search box, type in a word or phrase as normal.
2. Tab twice to move to the filters list, which is laid out as a row of items.
3. Press right arrow to move to find results in documents, and press enter. The focus returns to the search box, and Jaws reads out the first item in the filtered list of results.

David.

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 03:40 am, John J. Fioravanti, Jr. wrote:

How can I find files in windows 10 by their content and not just their names.  

Thank you.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.