moderated Re: Where can I learn about formulas for Excel?

Chris Chaffin

Hello all,

There used to be a list of excel functions listed by category in the Excel help.  Since I do not have the latest version of Excel, I can not say how accessible this still is to access.
You can also find out a lot by searching Google for the type of Excel function you are looking for.  I just always include the words excel and function in my search criteria.

Here is a web page from Office Support listing all excel functions by category:

Hope this helps!

Chris

On May 12, 2018, at 7:45 AM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

Kevin have you tried calling microsoft accessibility and asking if they have a list of all formulas?

Richard

“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter.” 

- Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1

On May 11, 2018, at 9:49 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

Actually, if you want to know what day a particular date is, just type the date in a cell, e.g. in A1 type 12/24/2018, then press Control+1 to format the cell and select the date format, then from the available options select the one that has the weekday included (for me it’s the second from the top).

If, for example, I enter 12/25/2018 into A1 and then apply that format, it will read “Tuesday, December 25, 2018” so I now know that Christmas day this year is on a Tuesday.

Now, if I want to know how many days it is until Christmas from today (May 11), I type 5/11/2018 into cell A2, then in cell A3 I subtract the larger date (Christmas) from the smaller date (today), so I put =A1-A2 and the result in this case will be 228 which is the correct number of days from May 11 until December 25.

the day

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 6:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Where can I learn about formulas for Excel?

Hi,

Following is a formula to calculate the day of the week  from an input date.

In the first cell, in this case A4, type in 3/12/1988 and the cell with the formula will display the week day. 

=TEXT(A4,"dddd")

Depending on where you live and the date format, you may need to change the formula a little.  This formula  works on 3 December 1988 and not December 12 format.  But then it may not need to be altered at all.  You’ll just need to experiment.

HTH

Tom

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: Saturday, 12 May 2018 9:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Where can I learn about formulas for Excel?

Hi.

I’m looking for a source to learn about the different formulas for Excel.  I purchased the book that CathyAnne Murtha wrote, but it doesn’t contain all the formulas that I’m looking for.  Essentially, I’d like a kind of Excel for Dummies where all the formulas are listed and how they work.  As an example, I’d like to know how to have Excel tell me the day of the week a date will be.  Also, I’d like to know how many days are between dates.  I looked through the book I got from Ms. Murtha, but it doesn’t list all the formulas.

Thanks for any help.  Dates aren’t the only thing I’m looking for.  I know Excel is a very powerful program, and I’d like to learn how to use it to its fullest potential.

Thanks for any info.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Kevin Minor and the amazing Jilly, Lexington, KY

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.