moderated Re: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

Sharon

So should it look like this?

Docx: fudge

Or docx:fudge

Sharon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Bailes
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 9:47 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

Hi Sharon,
The start menu does seem to be a bit too keen to give internet results. But it's ok if you filter the results. An alternative to the method I've already given for filtering for documents is instead of just typing in your search terms, type the three letter word doc, followed by a colon, followed by your search terms.

David.

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 06:16 am, Sharon wrote:

But if that is true, why can I only get internet results from the start menu, while I can get files at least words in the names from windows explorer in Windows 10?

Sharon

Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

Hi John,
If you're using File Explorer in Windows 10 to search for files, then it behaves roughly the same way as Windows Explorer in Windows 7.
However, if you're using the Start menu to search, there is a difference. In Windows 7, then the contents of files was automatically included in the search. But in Windows 10, the contents are not automatically included. However, as I outlined in a previous post, if you filter the search results for documents, then the contents are included.
If you're still having problems, please state whether you're using File Explorer or the Start menu to search, and some information about where the files are that you're trying to find. For example, are they in your Documents folder, or on an external drive.

David.

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 11:49 pm, John J. Fioravanti, Jr. wrote:

Ican still find content in 7 as well

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 10:41 AM

I'm using W7 and can still find files based on it's content, and the more content that is used the better a match will result. don't know about W10.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2018 10:25 AM EST
Subject: File find in windows 10 with jaws 2018, looking for content not the names of files

Hi, David. I believe what John is asking is if there is a way to search for files in Windows 10 based on words contained inside files. This used to be possible in Windows XP, and I believe it is one thing we cannot now do since Windows 7. I miss this feature. I used to have a folder of recipes, and I could, for example, search for any of those text files that contain the word pistachio. This was nice, because it made it easy to find anything on the drive. It also used to be easier to change which drive was searched.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2018 1:39 AM

Hi John,
assuming that the files are somewhere in your personal folder, you can do this from the search box in the start menu. Normally when you search for files using the start menu, it only searches the names of files.
However, if you filter the search results for documents, then the contents are searched as well. To do this:
1. In the search box, type in a word or phrase as normal.
2. Tab twice to move to the filters list, which is laid out as a row of items.
3. Press right arrow to move to find results in documents, and press enter. The focus returns to the search box, and Jaws reads out the first item in the filtered list of results.

David.

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 03:40 am, John J. Fioravanti, Jr. wrote:
How can I find files in windows 10 by their content and not just their names.
Thank you.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.