moderated Re: Finally got windows 10 and have questions

Shirley Tracy

David, I would appreciate the tutorial. Today, I had trouble with the reading pane not being spoken in JAWS. I called Microsoft and the rep ran a repair for JAWS (not sure if that was needed or not, but now it works). Since it worked yesterday, I can’t understand what went wrong.

Thanks again.

Shirley

Stracy5@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 3:36 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Finally got windows 10 and have questions

Hi!

I am so glad you are using the Mail app in Windows 10. I have a tutorial if you want it. It is a text tutorial.

Often, I have to shift+Tab back to my inbox of messages.

Also, if you want to create filters, you can get on the email web site, like Gmail, for example, and easily create the Labels, there, they are called, and they will be synced with the mail app.

Narrator does a great job at reading the search results when you start typing in an email address. You can turn Narrator on right over JAWS, and turn it back off after you find the right email address.

Those are a few tricks that I use.

Take care, and ask any questions.

I fly through a thousand emails a day, and respond, forward, and add attachments.

The mail app is very usable.

David Moore

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 11:17 PM

Hi Steve and all,

I am actually using Microsoft Mail for Windows 10 now. Yesterday, I couldn’t use it, but today, I’ve got it down. (At least I think I have).

Persistence pays—plus I found something on the web from Microsoft that describes how to use it with screen readers like JAWS. While things aren’t totally as described, I’ve been able to figure out how to make it work—but I’m sure I’m far from using it fully.

Thank you all again for your input. This list has really helped.

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:45 PM

Instead of using a browser for email, why not try a regular Windows mail

program, like Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail. I would not, however,

recommend the native Windows 10 email client.

Your JAWS will tell you when there is an update, and invite you to

download and install it by activating the appropriate button in the

dialog. Ditto FSCast podcast episodes.

On 4/17/2018 8:32 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> I posted earlier I had bought an all-in-one computer, but got chicken and returned it. The one I have set up now is much more powerful--refurbished but works really well.

> Here are my questions:

> 1. Do you all have trouble using EDGE? I generally use Internet Explorer or I used to sometimes use Firefox. When trying to read email today, I discovered that Edge will show me the messages but won't open the links. Is there a JAWS key that will open them? I'm using Roadrunner email through Mail.brighthouse.com. I'm using Internet Explorer right now, but I'd use Edge if it's possible.

> 2. I installed JAWS 1820 from the disk. I then downloaded the March update from the website. Do I need to download each of the other updates? Or will they be in the March update?

> Windows 10 doesn't seem too difficult. It's just the learning curve that makes it seem daunting.

> Thank you all for your patience. At least I'm trying to learn. (smile).

>   Shirley

>

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.