From: Shannon
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 08:46
Subject: Fixing JAWS OCR accuracy?

Hello all,

I was just using the OCR on a pdf. I noticed that there was a problem.

This happened to be an invoice that I need to pay.

I got down to the  Sub total line and all was fine until the taxes were added and the line that said Balance Due.

The final balance Due was not correct.

The OCR cut off the line.

If I had believed this and not questioned it and found a pair of eyes to confirm I would have miss paid the bill.

Subtotal was 202.65 and the balance Due said 202

I would have short paid .65 to the vendor.

How can I make the OCR be accurate?

I also notice this on the time tracking software we use. There is a screen that JAWS will not read with the virtual curser, mouse curser, and not even the touch curser. There is no PC curser in the window.

I have to OCR the window to get any info from it.

Often and very often it will lie to me and cut off parts of the time entries. It may say something like

Time in 7:00am

Out time 10:30AM

4/18/2018 56 38am (it Left off the leading 6)

4/18/18/2018 0:28:12AM(it left off the leading 1)

This is the “Raw” time of the actual punch into the clock. The system rounds to the nearest 15 minute.

When JAWS doesn’t tell me the truth I am forced to get someone over here to look over my shoulder and tell me what is really on the screen.

Why can’t it be accurate?

Is there any settings that I can do/change to correct this?

I just don’t feel good that my screen reader is not telling me the truth and I can’t rely on it.

Thanks for any pointers.

Shannon